Fit Bit and Exercise DVD

Options
Anybody explain why I have burnt less calories doing the same workout DVD? Last week I did one of my exercise DVDs and burnt (according to fit bit) 246 calories, but this time only 161 :/ I noticed I only ever reached the fat burn on my fit bit whereas the first time had cardio intervals, I'm so confused :/ it's the same DVD!

Replies

• annacole94
    annacole94 Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    Guessing it's the enthusiasm with which you swing your arms around.

You should enter non-step based activity, rather than relying on the fitbit to detect it.
  • chasetwins
    chasetwins Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    I use solely workout videos and my calories burn ( fit bit and heart rate monitor ) vary every time. It depends on your intensity like Anna said..your enthusiasm this time may not have been as great as the last week. The heart rate monitor varies due to this as well as fitness improvements.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    Also wanted to add that as you get used to the activity, your body becomes more efficient and does not have to work as hard to do same activity, and so your hr would probably be less as well as calories burned.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Anybody explain why I have burnt less calories doing the same workout DVD? Last week I did one of my exercise DVDs and burnt (according to fit bit) 246 calories, but this time only 161 :/ I noticed I only ever reached the fat burn on my fit bit whereas the first time had cardio intervals, I'm so confused :/ it's the same DVD!

Because a fitbit isn't an effective way to estimate calorie expenditure in that situation?

It measures vibration of your arm and assumes that's steps, and interpolates that with an HR reading that can vary according to a wide range of things.