Average Calorie Count Per Meal

Options
haleyhawkins
haleyhawkins Posts: 37 Member
What is a healthy average calorie count per meal?

Replies

• JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Divide your daily by the number of meals you want and then move calories around amongst them as you wish.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,962 Member
    Options
    ^^exactly.

There's no magic number, up to you and your needs and desires.

Some people are eating 1500 calories a day in one meal, some spread that out to six meals. Makes no difference.
  • lulalacroix
    lulalacroix Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    Divide your daily by the number of meals you want and then move calories around amongst them as you wish.

Wrong.

First subtract the amount of snacks you want to eat, then divide the remainder by the number of meals you'd like.

Half kidding actually. Love my snacks.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options

Wrong.

First subtract the amount of snacks you want to eat, then divide the remainder by the number of meals you'd like.

Half kidding actually. Love my snacks.

I count my snacks as a 4th meal.
  • CafeRacer808
    CafeRacer808 Posts: 2,396 Member
    Options

This. The answer to your question depends entirely on your daily calorie goal. I love a good 600 calorie lunch for example, but that might be half of someone else's daily calorie allotment.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Some people like a bigger breakfast, others like a bigger dinner. It all comes down to your preference.

1400 calorie days look something like this for me:
    250 Breakfast / 350 Lunch / 150 Snack 1 / 500 Dinner / 150 Snack 2
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    The number of calories you have at any given meal are irrelevant.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    The amount the helps you function best. It is personal preference.
    You might divide them equally among all meals, eat once a day, have a big meal and 2 smaller meals, etc.

I eat 100-300 calorie breakfast, 300-500 calorie lunch, 500-600 calorie dinner and 100-300 calories for snacks usually.
  • TheCupcakeCounter
    TheCupcakeCounter Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    I workout in the morning so my breakfasts tend to be one of my largest meals
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,086 Member
    Options
    I go back and forth between multiple 600-calorie meals or else a couple 1k meals.
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options
    No average. It varies a lot within my total daily allowance.

Today was Breakfast 616, Lunch 494, Dinner 416, Snacks 426
    Wednesday was Breakfast 558, Lunch 431, Dinner 570, Snacks 0
  • paigele
    paigele Posts: 123 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Personally, I have coffee and a small snack (nuts or almond milk) in the morning before cardio, followed by another protein snack, try to eat around 200-250 calories for breakfast (which when logged looks like a 400-500 calorie meal) then divide the rest of the calories between lunch an dinner (less the roughly 65-120 cal other snacks.) For me this works the best. I have not noticed a fluctuation if I eat those calories later in the day, but since I don't do it habitually, it might not make an overall difference.
  • raindawg
    raindawg Posts: 348 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    It can vary on how you are wired. Mine are weighted to the second half of the day. I eat a small breakfast because a bigger one makes my system feel out of whack. I go 125 calorie breakfast, 375ish lunch, then about 1,000 for snacks & dinner. When on maintenance I'll probably add a mid-morning snack but will still weight things to the second half of the day.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    Gotta do what works for you. I've landed on 300 breakfast, 200 snack, 400 lunch, 200 snack, 500 dinner.
  • bshrom11
    bshrom11 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I eat a large breakfast, a decent sized dinner and just a couple small snacks in between. This seems to work best for me as I am not very hungry mid day because of having such a large breakfast.
  • michfly1976
    michfly1976 Posts: 2 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Do you eat your activity calories? I do not. I am doing 1200 per day. I use under 300 for breakfast, eat a healthy lunch and then see what I can do for dinner. Never really thought to break it up like that! This is my first week so I may adopt a meal allowance and see how that works for me!