Alcohol

Options
I decided to have a few drinks last night and went over 400 calories into today. Yesterday I went over by 3 calories all day. I know I have to exercise some of this down today but I'm pretty disappointed over it...

Replies

• anniehiver24
    anniehiver24 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    It's okay to give in, people aren't perfect. Just keep trying! At least you know what to do to redeem yourself in your own eyes. Just grow from your mistakes.

For me it helps to ghost enter a drink or a snack to see just how much it would either put me over or under. That at least help me gain a second thought about what ever it is i'm eating.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Depending how many pounds you entered to lose a week, you are probably still in deficit for the day. Don't sweat it.

2 lbs loss per week = 1000 calorie deficit per day
    1 lb loss per week = 500 calorie deficit per day
    .5 lb loss per week = 250 calorie deficit per day

Get back on track. Start logging and hitting your goals. DO NOT punish yourself for this. You did nothing wrong. You made a choice. You learned something making that choice. Whether you do it the same way next time or not is up to you.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    400 calories over isn't a big deal unless it's a regular thing. That's like 1/10 of what is needed to gain 1 lb. Just move on.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    I drink everyday, just ease up on the food a bit or add some exercise to give yourself more calorie headroom. If its only one day I wouldn't lose a lot of sleep over it.
  • airigirl
    airigirl Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I'm on a 1200 calorie a day limit. What do you mean by a deficit?
  • quiksylver296
    edited March 2017
    Options
    airigirl wrote: »
    I'm on a 1200 calorie a day limit. What do you mean by a deficit?

When you entered your height, weight and age into MFP and chose 2 lbs to lose per week, MFP created a calorie deficit for you to follow (the 1200 calories per day). This is less than your body needs to maintain its current weight. Everyone has a certain number of calories per day they need to maintain their weight. Eat less than that (a deficit), and you lose weight. Eat more than that (a surplus), and you gain weight.

If you would share your height, weight, age and gender, I can show you.
  • typetolisa
    typetolisa Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Luckily I work 3 nights a week, otherwise I would drink everyday too! I Love my red wine, so I just make sure I workout on everyday off and use those calories toward my wine. They definitely add up quick tho!! And, the other issue for me that I have too be careful of is control over food choices with alcohol on board!!! I wish I could give it up except for special occasions, but unfortunately, I can't see that happening!!
  • airigirl
    Options
    I am 5'4" started at 225 lbs.. now 222.. I'm 47 female and sedentary lifestyle..
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    I decided to have a few drinks last night and went over 400 calories into today. Yesterday I went over by 3 calories all day. I know I have to exercise some of this down today but I'm pretty disappointed over it...

Look at your week as a whole, not each individual day. Are you close to your weekly target deficit? You are just fine. Life happens. Booze happens.

On weigh in day (Mondays for me) I check my MFP report for calories consumed for the week and use that as a guide. If I have an over day, I check the report too since it is a rolling week. If I am still at target for the week, I just forget the over day.
  • rsclause
    Options
    Sorry, I have always thought that 1200 a day is too low because I can't relate to it. I am a guy (6'2") and 1200 calories is probably what I eat for breakfast. I would never advise anyone to go below that. I have found that when I was logging and running I could have a few drinks and the running would make room. Full disclosure, I typically have 4 oz scotch, 1/2 bottle of wine and a beer daily. To offset and still lose weight I need to run 20 to 30 miles a week. I guess I am pretty hard core on both fronts.
  • quiksylver296
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I am 5'4" started at 225 lbs.. now 222.. I'm 47 female and sedentary lifestyle..

Ok, @airigirl. Here's what I got, using scoobysworkshop.com's calorie calculator.

The TDEE is the amount of calories you need to maintain your current weight (no added exercise).

The second number is your TDEE with a 20% reduction in calories - to cause weight loss.

7tbt02ejyj2h.jpg

So, you can see that even 400 calories over for the day, you are still within good numbers for your stats. I can also see that you could eat a bit more every day and still lose. If you find that you are starving on 1200 calories per day, please feel free to add a bit more. You will still lose.

With that said, if you aren't using a food scale and weighing and logging EVERYTHING you eat, you may not actually be eating the amount of calories you think you are. At least, I wasn't! An actual half-cup of ice cream or two tablespoons of peanut butter are not even close to what I thought they were. ;)

• airigirl
    Options
    I'm not using a scale. I'm trying to calculate portions and using the list on here.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    I'm not using a scale. I'm trying to calculate portions and using the list on here.

Get a scale. They are cheap and indispensable to weight loss. You really have no real gauge as to how much you are eating without one.
  • grace173
    grace173 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    rsclause wrote: »
    Sorry, I have always thought that 1200 a day is too low because I can't relate to it. I am a guy (6'2") and 1200 calories is probably what I eat for breakfast. I would never advise anyone to go below that. I have found that when I was logging and running I could have a few drinks and the running would make room. Full disclosure, I typically have 4 oz scotch, 1/2 bottle of wine and a beer daily. To offset and still lose weight I need to run 20 to 30 miles a week. I guess I am pretty hard core on both fronts.

Thank you for your honesty. I sometimes wonder if I am the only girl in the world that likes to have drinks regularly without being made to feel like I'm an alchoholic.
  • rsclause
    Options
    grace173 wrote: »

Thank you for your honesty. I sometimes wonder if I am the only girl in the world that likes to have drinks regularly without being made to feel like I'm an alchoholic.

It was funny as I started gaining friends on MFP and had my diary open someone commented "dude, do you realize that almost half of your calories come from alcohol?". I replied yeah I know, I need to cut down on it. He said no that's not what I meant, we are in awe about it. I did reduce a bit and was able to lose 53 pounds and an enormous beer gut.
  • quiksylver296
    edited March 2017
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »

Get a scale. They are cheap and indispensable to weight loss. You really have no real gauge as to how much you are eating without one.

Agree. Get a scale. I have this one. It's a bit pricier than others, but it came in PURPLE!!!

https://www.amazon.com/Escali-157RR-Glass-Digital-Kitchen/dp/B0051ZOJFQ/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1489174617&sr=8-2&keywords=escali+digital+scale

And just in case it was unclear, you weigh your food on the scale and then still enter it into your MFP food diary.
  • typetolisa
    Options
    Sorry, I have always thought that 1200 a day is too low because I can't relate to it. I am a guy (6'2") and 1200 calories is probably what I eat for breakfast. I would never advise anyone to go below that. I have found that when I was logging and running I could have a few drinks and the running would make room. Full disclosure, I typically have 4 oz scotch, 1/2 bottle of wine and a beer daily. To offset and still lose weight I need to run 20 to 30 miles a week. I guess I am pretty hard core on both

Funny, that's the main reason I would never open my diary! Too crazy how many calories I allow for wine!!
    I guess you have to find what works for you.
    And.... find a way to continue to have the things you Love, and don't want to give up!!
  • typetolisa
    Options
    Funny, that's the main reason I would never open my diary! Too crazy how many calories I allow for wine!!
    I guess you have to find what works for you.
    And.... find a way to continue to have the things you Love, and don't want to give up!!
  • grace173
    grace173 Posts: 180 Member
    Options

It was funny as I started gaining friends on MFP and had my diary open someone commented "dude, do you realize that almost half of your calories come from alcohol?". I replied yeah I know, I need to cut down on it. He said no that's not what I meant, we are in awe about it. I did reduce a bit and was able to lose 53 pounds and an enormous beer gut.

Well congrats on getting rid of the gut, I'm sure your liver appreciated the effort too ;)
  • aka62792
    aka62792 Posts: 98 Member
    Options