Need help on calories please!!

Options
TwistMotionless
TwistMotionless Posts: 30 Member
edited March 2017 in Food and Nutrition
cdzabeuunhlp.jpg
I need help on this rice and how many calories, any help very much appreciated, because I'm still new to this and rice specifically has me lost.

Okay, so I meal prep dinner each week, and what I do is 6 oz chicken, broccoli, and 100 grams (measured after it was cooked) of brown rice, the brown rice I use is the Minute Instant Whole Grain Brown Rice, the nutrition facts are at this link, http://i.imgur.com/WpWe7CS.jpg

Here's where I get lost.
What I do is put 2 cups of uncooked brown rice in a pot with 3 1/2 cups of water, and when it's finished cooking I get the scale, and measure out 100 grams of the brown rice and put 100 grams of brown rice per Tupperware container.. Now my question is, is that 360 calories worth of brown rice? I'm very much lost on this and think I've been underestimating the calories.

My question is, how many calories exactly is the brown rice per tupperware container?

What I've been logging the rice as was the 180 calories (1 serving) in MyFitnessPal because that's what I thought it was, but now that I've looked into it a bit more, I think I may be wrong, any chance for some insight on this please?!

Replies

• A_Rene86
    A_Rene86 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    It does get confusing! The rice should be measured before you cook it, that's what the 100 grams the box is listing is referring to.
  • A_Rene86
    Options
    A_Rene86 wrote: »
    It does get confusing! The rice should be measured before you cook it, that's what the 100 grams the box is listing is referring to.

Excuse me, the 50* grams the box refers to, which would be 100 if you're measuring out 1 cup rather than 1/2 a cup.
  • TwistMotionless
    Options

Excuse me, the 50* grams the box refers to, which would be 100 if you're measuring out 1 cup rather than 1/2 a cup.

Okay, then my concern is, I would have to cook 1 serving 7 times to get an exact measurement for each of my tupperware containers, correct? Or how would I go about that?
  • lilchick140
    lilchick140 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    You're cooking 4 servings at a time (720 calories) so how many meals do you make out of that...that's how I would be able to figure it out
  • TwistMotionless
    Options
    You're cooking 4 servings at a time (720 calories) so how many meals do you make out of that...that's how I would be able to figure it out

I make 7 days worth of meals. So about 102 calories per container?
  • A_Rene86
    Options

Okay, then my concern is, I would have to cook 1 serving 7 times to get an exact measurement for each of my tupperware containers, correct? Or how would I go about that?

So say you weigh out 200 grams, or 2 full cups and cook as you have been. Once cooked, if you weigh the rice into four equal amounts, that will give you an accurate split. It may take a little trial and error, but it will give you the most accurate count.
  • lilchick140
    lilchick140 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Yep looks good!
  • A_Rene86
    Options
    Adjust the number of equal amounts for the number of servings you get out of the 200 grams, of course. I'm using 4 based on the 50 gram serving size given. If the total weight, once cooked, is 350 grams, then you'll want four containers of 87.5 grams. Does that make sense?
  • Fit_in_Folsom
    Fit_in_Folsom Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Agree with Rene, most food you measure after you cook it, but grains like rice and oats, are before...
  • __TMac__
    __TMac__ Posts: 1,665 Member
    Options
    Just a couple of thoughts that may or may not be helpful.

1) If all of those servings are for you to eat yourself, it'll even out over the week even if you don't have equal portions.

2) If you weigh out seven 50g portions (350g) and cook it all together, you can then weigh the finished amount and divide it by seven. That's how much to put in each container to get the right portion to match the nutrition label.

3) Rice, pasta, and popcorn are all super annoying.
  • TwistMotionless
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Agree with Rene, most food you measure after you cook it, but grains like rice and oats, are before...

So say I make one serving of 50 grams of dry rice which according to the box makes 2/3 cup cooked. But the serving size is 1/2, because the 2/3 is more than 1/2 after cooked is that more than one serving? Or still just one serving?

And forgive me for my ignorance like I said I'm still new to this, but doing it the way I've been doing it how many grams of brown rice will I want per container after cooked for 7 days of tupperware for one serving each container?
  • change4char
    change4char Posts: 85 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options

So say I make one serving of 50 grams of dry rice which according to the box makes 2/3 cup cooked. But the serving size is 1/2, because the 2/3 is more than 1/2 after cooked is that more than one serving? Or still just one serving?

And forgive me for my ignorance like I said I'm still new to this, but doing it the way I've been doing it how many grams of brown rice will I want per container after cooked for 7 days of tupperware for one serving each container?

Always measure by weight. Cups/Tablespoons/etc are an estimation.

If you measure out 50g, that is one serving, it does not matter how many cups it equals in the end.
  • NEOHgirl
    NEOHgirl Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    The measurements before and after have nothing to do with each other due to the water it absorbs. You are putting 200g (2 cups in), and splitting it between 7 containers, making the rice calories equivalent to 28.57g of the dry, which is 57.14% of the full serving. I'd select the dry rice option on your tracker, and instead of using 1 serving at 50g, enter it as .5714.
  • faithsimmons526
    faithsimmons526 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Use the recipe feature!! Enter all your rice, add the water -- because you need at least 2 items to make a 'recipe', and if you're counting sodium, include any salt. Then set the recipe for 7 servings. Each day, enter one serving in your diary.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Okay, so I meal prep dinner each week, and what I do is 6 oz chicken, broccoli, and 100 grams (measured after it was cooked) of brown rice, the brown rice I use is the Minute Instant Whole Grain Brown Rice, the nutrition facts are at this link, http://i.imgur.com/WpWe7CS.jpg

Here's where I get lost.
    What I do is put 2 cups of uncooked brown rice in a pot with 3 1/2 cups of water, and when it's finished cooking I get the scale, and measure out 100 grams of the brown rice and put 100 grams of brown rice per Tupperware container.. Now my question is, is that 360 calories worth of brown rice? I'm very much lost on this and think I've been underestimating the calories.

My question is, how many calories exactly is the brown rice per tupperware container?

What I've been logging the rice as was the 180 calories (1 serving) in MyFitnessPal because that's what I thought it was, but now that I've looked into it a bit more, I think I may be wrong, any chance for some insight on this please?!

Possibly the easiest way is to use the recipe builder. Add the 2 cups raw rice as ingredient, weight the total batch of rice when done, set the final weight as the number of servings.
  • ritzvin
    Options
    ritzvin wrote: »

Possibly the easiest way is to use the recipe builder. Add the 2 cups raw rice as ingredient, weight the total batch of rice when done, set the final weight as the number of servings.

Or if you are dividing it roughly equal amongst a certain number of containers, use the number of containers as the number of servings.
  • JohnnyPenso
    JohnnyPenso Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Use the recipe feature!! Enter all your rice, add the water -- because you need at least 2 items to make a 'recipe', and if you're counting sodium, include any salt. Then set the recipe for 7 servings. Each day, enter one serving in your diary.
    This. Simple, quick and it works and you don't have to remember anything. If you make the same recipe again, you don't have to enter it all again either. MFP for the win ;)
  • __TMac__
    __TMac__ Posts: 1,665 Member
    Options
    Am I wrong that part of your question is how much to put in each container? Or are you comfortable just eyeballing the 7 portions?
  • TwistMotionless
    Options
    Thank you all for the feedback!
  • ritzvin
    Options
    Here's where I get lost.

2 cups of uncooked rice = 4*180 = 720 calories total.
    (weighing the uncooked rice when you put it in the cooker will give a much more accurate calorie amount)
    If dividing roughly equally amongst 7 containers, then it will be ~103 calories per container.