Intermittent fasting anyone?

Options
Is anyone doing intermittent fasting? Results?

Replies

• RedheadedPrincess14
    RedheadedPrincess14 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I do 16/8. It helps me feel less hungry and improves my digestion. Losing steadily at about a pound a week and im already at a healthy bmi so I dont expect it to go any faster :) Only have 10 vanity pounds to lose. It definitely just allows me to feel more full and not think about food the rest of the day
  • jsnorberg
    jsnorberg Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    How many calories do you eat during your "fed" state?
  • StargazingGirl
    StargazingGirl Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    1 do 16/8 or 18/6 depending on the days schedule. I try to mix 1-3 24-36hr fasts in the month, but sometimes that just doesn't happen for too many reasons.
  • RedheadedPrincess14
    RedheadedPrincess14 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    jsnorberg wrote: »
    How many calories do you eat during your "fed" state?

I eat what I was eating before. I eat abou 1400 calories without exercise and about 1600 with. Sometimes a bit less but only because Im eating so many veggies these days that I get full really easily. Also, eating in a shorter frame just naturally allows you to eat big portions. So I can eat too giant 700 calorie meals of healthy food in the 8 hours and feel great and light the rest of the evening and the early morning. :) The biggest change has been how much easier it is to stick to my calorie goals and how much better my digestion and skin are. My sleep is also way better.
  • lauralee328
    lauralee328 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I do! Been on a 4:3 plan since October (I did 6:1 from Thanksgiving to New Year's). I have lost 23 pounds. I do 16:8 on all days, with 600 calories on fast days and 1300 calories on non-fast days. It is the only diet I have ever managed to stick to, and I've found it really easy, since I have never been a breakfast eater. For exercise, I lift 3x week, do yoga 4x a week, and walk 3 miles every day. I am female, 5''6", 55 yrs., and I now weigh 146 lbs. I have about 10 lbs. to goal (give or take a few--we'll see). I love IF!
  • Hello_its_Dan
    Hello_its_Dan Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    jsnorberg wrote: »
    Is anyone doing intermittent fasting? Results?

16/8 since 2013.
  • paulajean1995
    paulajean1995 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Yes, I do Fast-5 (fasting 19 hours a day and eating within a five hour window of time). I lose weight slowly but steadily with this plan.
  • spiffychick85
    spiffychick85 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    This sounds interesting, but I've never heard of it...off to google intermittent fasting
  • danika2point0
    danika2point0 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I've been doing the 5:2 for one month now. I enjoy it because it suits my lifestyle and preferences. I'm sort of an all or nothing type food-person so I find both the fasting and non-fasting equally do-able! :-) I do 600 calories on the fasting days and my TDEE average on non-fasting days. My TDEE is 2,300 but I do it weekly over the 5 days vs. 2,300 everyday, so under my TDEE during the week and then over my TDEE on weekends.
  • dustedwithsugar
    dustedwithsugar Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I was doing it at the beginning of weightloss and it helped me a lot. I had 8 h window of eating, my main meal was dinner and it was AWESOME lol
    Now I still kind of follow it, but I don't follow any specific hours. I just try to push my first meal as late as I can. Usually I eat my breakfast around 1-2 pm, unless I wake up early and I'm very hungry, then I don't worry about it.
    I noticed it kind of regulated my hunger signals and I don't feel need to snack between meals. I eat when I'm properly hungry and now it's pretty much the same every day- around 2 pm, 6 pm and 9 pm.
  • fign8r
    fign8r Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I would love to put fasting into practice because I know it has it's many health & spiritual benefits.But it's freaking hard when my wife is baking chocolate chip banana bread LoL
  • danika2point0
    danika2point0 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Omg...that sounds so good...chocolate chip banana bread.
  • jonni82014
    jonni82014 Posts: 1,465 Member
    Options
    I break up my planned calories during the day, all day. That's probably why I am not moving on the scales. Intermittent fasting maybe the way to go. I hope to receive the gifts of better digestion and sleep. I have 10 vanity pounds to go.
  • metalmeow1
    metalmeow1 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I love, love love intermittent fasting. I always see results that exceed my expectations, just stay hydrated!
  • TxTiffani
    TxTiffani Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    I'm doing 16:8. For me, due to being a small framed woman at 5'0, it helps to keep my calories in check if I'm only eating during my window of 12-8pm. I'm eating around 1200 cals/day and honestly if I don't break my fast til lunch I'm not usually hungry but once I've broken my fast I'm hungry-ish the rest of the day. I usually have tea or coffee with some unsweetened almond milk mixed in during my morning:)
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,306 Member
    Options
    I just stopped IF 16/8 ... i did it for three months... and during that time I didn't weigh myself.. was just trying that ... and eating right. It does stop overeating and cravings when you are allowed to eat.

Some days it seemed easy to not eat until my window..other days it was a struggle.

In the end.. i weighted myself and didn't lose a pound. I'm now back eating all day and like it better and I'm losing weight. So.. if you do it.. make sure you're at a calorie deficit when you eat during your window.
  • markswife1992
    markswife1992 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    i did it for a long time and LOVED IT. the way my life is right now, i just can't do it. worked better when i didn't have a little one at home to feed all the time. LOL it required alot of discipline on my part. i lost alot of weight that way.
  • Nikion901
    Nikion901 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    My experience with IF has been 'iffy' ... Sometimes I can do it with ease and at other times it's a challenge.

What works better for me is to go for 4-5 hours between my meals during my day. It's also a rare day that I eat sooner than 12 hours between my last meal before sleep and my first meal of the next day.

Eating this way doesn't really have much affect on weight loss unless the calories and type of foods consumed are low glycemic, but I really like how light my body feels not to be laden down with food in the stomach all the time. Weight loss, for me, is dependent on total calories consumed day in, day out: calories down = weight down, calories up = weight up.