How often should I weight myself?

Options
Some people say that it's not good to weight myself every day so how often should I do it

Replies

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Depends.......

Weight will fluctuate.......high sodium meal you might hold more water, sore muscles will hold water for repair, monthly cycle, waste cycle. Weigh loss is not linear. If weighing everyday and seeing this up/down of the scale bothers you, then weigh less. If the up/down doesn't bother you weight everyday.
  • Theo166
    Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    I suggest a weekly weigh-in to log your progress and to update any challenges you've joined. I'm doing measurements and photographs monthly. I picked Sunday morning because I won't be in a rush and forget.

Occasionally I'll weigh myself during the week but rarely record it, I'll jump on the scales with my clothes on for a quick check, more about water weight.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    As often as you're comfortable with. Some people weigh first thing every morning. Others get demotivated by the constant fluctuations and go weekly, biweekly, or monthly. It's more important to make sure you do it in a consistent setting (generally first thing in the morning, after using the bathroom and before eating/drinking anything, wearing the same amount of clothing).
  • jpcampbell74
    jpcampbell74 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    No more than once per week. Weight can fluctuate 2-3 lbs daily with water retention\loss and other factors.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    No more than once per week. Weight can fluctuate 2-3 lbs daily with water retention\loss and other factors.

Which is why people who weigh themselves daily tend to use a weight tracking app that smooths out the fluctuations and allows them to see the overall trend
  • richardgavel
    richardgavel Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    I always weigh every day, but I can deal with the ups and down of water weight and recognize the difference between a trend and outlier data. The more data points, the easier you can determine the trend. Frankly, I never look at the one week view of my weight, only one month and longer.
  • Lorilynn_37
    Lorilynn_37 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily! I like to see what I'm eating and how it's affecting my weight.
    I only log on Fridays
  • joannie631
    joannie631 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I log only when at DR'S office every 3 month's
  • 85Cardinals
    85Cardinals Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I recommend weighing every hour on the hour. Be vigilant!
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Options
    I have a friend that is obsessive about weighing every day, without logging food every day. Drives me nuts, but she feels better for having weighed every day. There have been many people that admit they are obsessed with the scale. A guy a few days ago who weighed himself through out the day (not @85Cardinals :tongue: ) and then obsessed because he had gained. I think if you're okay, and you understand it's going to go up and down randomly and it's not going to screw with your day, then weigh daily. Weight 3 times a week to get a general idea of your loss, or weigh weekly with the understanding that it may just be a bad day because you only checked one day.
    I weight every randomly... because sometimes I don't feel like stripping down to get on the scale (I haven't had coffee yet!!). I try to remember every few days, but it's not a driving factor for me. It is neat to use the daily weigh in charts to see the different fluctuations, though!
  • lauralee328
    lauralee328 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    In the beginning, I was losing weight quickly enough that daily weighing was worthwhile. But once my weight loss slowed down, I found weekly to be better. I do like the daily weigh in for data points, but from a motivational standpoint, I can't take it.
  • kassierodriguez1
    kassierodriguez1 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    That depends on you. Does weighing yourself every day discourage you? If it does then don't do it. I have weighed myself every day since I started dieting. It gives me insight to what my body is doing. And how my body reacts to certain foods. It also helps me remember what I expect of myself. Also reminds me that I don't want to go down the same path I had gone down before. It lets me know when I had a good day and when I had a bad one. I don't dwell on a couple pound weight gain. It just tells me to get my act together tomorrow.
  • jroy1999
    jroy1999 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    If you can handle the fluctuations of every day, then it's fine. If not, most recommend once or twice a week. I weigh everyday, my husband who is also on mfp only once a week. We both have lost about 14lbs so far over 10 weeks. Just make sure it's under the same conditions as far as time, clothing, etc...because one thing can really throw it off. Once a month I also do body measurements, just so I can have some non-scale motivation.
  • cwagar123
    cwagar123 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I weigh every morning but the fluctuations really don't bother me. I know that I gain 2-5 lbs prior to my menstrual cycle and it vanishes days later