Apps for walking

Options
Hi guys,

are there mobile apps which measure the speed of your walking correctly and informs you whether you are doing brisk walk?

I planning to use it for my daily walking exercise. :)

Replies

• maryjaquiss
    maryjaquiss Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I use Runkeeper for my running and there is also an option for walking :) Will tell you pace/speed, distance, calorie burn (though I use with caution!) etc.
  • gerla_k
    gerla_k Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I second Runkeeper. Love that app.
  • TheJourneyToFabulous
    TheJourneyToFabulous Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I use mapmywalk
  • wise_wind
    wise_wind Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Ok thanks your replies friends :)
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    I use Endomondo. I love the set up more than other apps I have tried but I think the GPS can be a bit off at times.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    wise_wind wrote: »
    Hi guys,

are there mobile apps which measure the speed of your walking correctly and informs you whether you are doing brisk walk?

I planning to use it for my daily walking exercise. :)

The best judge of brisk is your perceived exertion level. Brisk for me might be very hard for you, or vice versa.

In terms of apps, personally I'd normally recommend Endomondo or Runkeeper. Strava is also good but not really oriented towards something like walking.

I'd personally not recommend MapMyWalk/ MapMyFitness or Runtastic, having had persistent problems with both when I've been testing them.

• EauRouge1
    EauRouge1 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I use runkeeper too and find the distance and pace pretty accurate. There is a bug with the elevation readings at the moment (v noticeable for me because I live in a flat area!) so I'm ignoring the calorie burn at the moment. They are working on a fix though so it should be back to normal soon.
  • Ming1951
    Ming1951 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    I've been using map my walk. The only problem I've had with it is that I inadvertently hit the pause workout and then by the time I realize it I've lost a lot of my info and completed my walk. Thats disappointing to me.
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Options
    I use ZombiesRun, it does track distance either by pedometer in the phone, or by GPS signal and will give the breakdown of speeds. Also I get a storyline for it, and inbetween the storyline it plays music. It can be used for walking or running and I've found it's pretty accurate with my GearFit pedometer tracking and it displays the breakdown on both the app and the website.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    I gave up on phone apps because I could not find one that is consistently accurate. Different lengths for the same course daily. Weird off course tracks, etc. It might vary based on where you live, cellular signal strength, amount of trees, etc. I did as 5k on a USATF approved course and my app gave me about 20% more distsnce than actual. Crazy.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    I use Runkeeper. I have found the distance and pace to be accurate. I have run it simultaneously with mapmywalk and they both show the same distance since both are gps. I like seeing where I've been on their little maps. :) Runkeeper seems to be a bit closer to what calorie burn might be. Mapmywalk calorie burn is always higher. My focus is more in the "doing" so calorie burn is not of that much interest but I continue to choose Runkeeper simply because it has fewer periodic glitches.

I'll agree with the poster above regarding accidentally hitting pause. I close it off my screen so "stop" or "pause" is not accidentally tapped. It doesn't have to be on the display to run.
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    I've had good success with Mapmyhike, the hiking version of Mapmywalk. I can't really tell you how accurate it is as far as measuring speed, I just know that over the past year and 2 months I've logged hundreds of miles and many gallons of sweat with good results in the weight loss department. The calorie burns seem a little high, so I don't eat the total back.
  • missnolder890
    missnolder890 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I love mapmywalk. Measures your distance, time, calories burned, and the map is pretty damn accurate. It'll even tell what side of the street your​ walking on. I use it almost daily
  • thielke2015
    thielke2015 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Walkmeter