If Im under my calories every day but my sodium is over every other day will I continue to lose?

I try my best to stay under but as you know most all processed food is high in sodium.

Replies

• VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Yes. Sodium may cause water retention. That's not fat. Doesn't stop you losing fat.
  • hypodonthaveme
    hypodonthaveme Posts: 215 Member
    Just affects the scale number but that will even out in a day or two.
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,220 Member
    Depends what you want to lose. You will lose fat as soon as you go on a deficit but losing weight might take a while.
  • alid8333
    alid8333 Posts: 233 Member
    I have issues with my sodium level going over the recommended level. I just try to drink as much water as I can to help flush my system out.
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    If you're way way over, drink water to help. Otherwise, eventually it will come out. Beyond water weight, it won't matter to your actual weight loss.
  • victoria_1024
    victoria_1024 Posts: 915 Member
    I never even look at that number. Sometimes I see the little warning when I log something high in sodium so I'm sure I go over all the time. Still lost 90 lbs.
  • pdxwine
    pdxwine Posts: 389 Member
    I am on a sodium restricted diet. When I have an occasional high sodium day, I pay for it for two days. The scale and my ankles will tell the story of too much sodium. :)
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    edited March 2017
    The thing is, water weight gain due to too much salt is temporary. It will not slow your weight loss down, it will just make you fluctuate more, so the weight loss trend is more of a zig-zag than a straight line. It's no biggie. Has no effect on fat loss at all.