Down in Weight,Up in bra Size?

Options
I went vegan about a year ago to help lose weight for a surgery(breast reduction) , and have been pretty successful, with a twenty three pound weightloss (153 to 130). The problem, however, is that I started out as a 34E and have gone up to a 34H. This is problematic because I, myself, am not a tall girl, at 5'3". Any ideas or tips? Because my back is killing me even as I type this haha

Replies

• smotheredincheese
    smotheredincheese Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    If the fat around your back had reduced, and you've now got a smaller rib/back measurement, but your breast volume has stayed the same then the greater difference between measurements will give you a greater cup size.
    Have you tried going down a back size or two? It sounds like you're not getting enough support at the moment, if you've lost 20 pounds it's probably worth getting re-measured.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    Are you sure you were/are wearing the correct size bra?

I mean, you're still pretty young so there is a chance that you're a late bloomer and still developing. What does your gynecologist say about it? What does the surgeon say? You were planning on breast reduction surgery anyways, so it seems that you most definitely need it...
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    If the fat around your back had reduced, and you've now got a smaller rib/back measurement, but your breast volume has stayed the same then the greater difference between measurements will give you a greater cup size.
    Have you tried going down a back size or two? It sounds like you're not getting enough support at the moment, if you've lost 20 pounds it's probably worth getting re-measured.

I say this, try going to a specialty store and getting measured, bra sizes are a combination of band and cup size together, so the same person can wear (as in it fits around them) a 30C or 36D but it will fit and support differently.
  • ogtmama
    ogtmama Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    Did you get the new bra at Victoria's secret? They use vanity sizing in reverse ;)
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately most of us don't lose weight evenly. Sounds like the rest of you is currently shrinking faster than your chest.

I think it's more common for the opposite to be true (more women tend to lose their busts first) but I'm also one that seems to lose from my chest last. I have to be in a sub-20 BMI (and in the low 20s of body fat percentage) to really see mine get substantially smaller.

I'm 5'4" and at my high weight of ~145 lbs I was a 32G, then started losing and lost band inches first and was a 28GG, but ultimately once I hit my goal weight (in the 115-120 lb range) my chest is finally a much more manageable size, in the 28DD-F range, which actually looks pretty proportionate and doesn't hurt my back anymore since there's just so much less overall. You'd probably never look at me now and think my chest is even particularly large.

Some of us just lose there last, and so if you want to lose there you have to be a bit persistent and let your body drop fat from other places first/keep going. If I'd stopped even ten pounds above my eventual goal weight I probably would have thought that mine would never shrink...

Not to say that you should lose more than you want or into an unhealthy place, just saying that it might take a few more pounds than you expected depending on fat distribution.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Is it the same brand?
  • ACSL3
    ACSL3 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I would check and see if you really are still a 34 - your band size may have gone down. Women who have more dense breast tissue (i.e. less fat in their breasts) won't lose as much weight in their breasts. As I've lost weight my band size has gone down and cup size up as the volume of my breasts stays the same but the fat around my ribs decreases. I was told by a surgeon that that probably means I have less fat tissue and my breasts are likely mostly glandular (milk producing tissue). I'm also planning a reduction, but want to lose some more weight first.