Losing weight feels impossible

I started on this weight loss journey last week again for the millionth time (Well it feels like it) I am exhausted already and just want to eat a pizza. I really have no support as my sweet hubby sits beside we and eats his chocolate and never gains an ounce. How do you stay motivated when you feel so exhausted and disgusted? Motivation lacking... ((SIGH))

Replies

• brittyn3
    brittyn3 Posts: 481 Member
    edited March 2017
    It's always overwhelming and hard at first... especially if A. you've tried and failed, B. have a lot to lose, C. just starting. I lost a bunch and gained all plus some back. I'm finally being steady and consistent with nearly 20 lost out of 56 total. Whenever I have a day I feel like I want to give up and eat pizza, I think of my end goal. And I also remember how I feel/felt before I started. The sadness that nothing fit. The embarrassment that I gained weight again. The overwhelming amount of weight, for me, that I had to lose... It seemed impossiblleeee.

It's also important - for me at least, to work in my favorite foods. So that's helped me.

Just take it a day at a time. It's a marathon, not a sprint. Write down your goals. Figure out why you want to lose weight. Create mini goals. Figure out what makes you happy. You can do this. You deserve to be happy and to do this for yourself.

Take it 1 pound at a time. Literally. Those pounds add up. Faster than you think.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Make sure you are setting realistic goals for yourself and taking baby steps. Don't go all gung-ho or set an aggressive calorie goal or you may end up tired, hungry and feeling deprived. Eat the foods you love (even pizza) in moderation and fit them into your calorie goal. Losing weight shouldn't make you feel miserable or resentful. I know losing weight seems like a daunting mountain, but if you make small sustainable changes or choices, you can succeed easily, it just takes time.
  • samuelgina91
    samuelgina91 Posts: 158 Member
    Listen to the above it is great advice, but if you are having trouble starting if you would like add me as a friend we can always chat and make smaller goals. Like cutting down on soda to start with, then gradually working up to changing your plate and opening yourself up to new foods like Indian, Chinese, Arabic, Russian, Lebanese, French etc. recipes. You can surprisingly eat a lot of healthier food options and be satisfied, and you can eat in moderation and find something that works for you. Trust me I have done the exercise like crazy thing, and eating way less, and I get way to hungry and angry from it. Slow changes that you can maintain, and good support, which comes from within mostly and finding people who are just as motivated to make positive changes.
  • TheCupcakeCounter
    TheCupcakeCounter Posts: 606 Member
    Work with portion and calorie control and allow yourself some of the stuff you want. Get thin crust pizza and add more veggies to it. Eat dark chocolate (at least 70%). If you plan your calories out and eat very nutrient dense food you will feel satiated longer and still have room for some of your treats. If you control the shopping just stop buying the foods that call out to you.
    Want some chocolate? Melt it and drizzle it on some berries. It will pacify your brain because you had chocolate and the fruit is pretty low in sugar and high in fiber.
    Use strong flavors like goat cheese or cayenne so you don't feel deprived.
  • lauralee328
    lauralee328 Posts: 21 Member
    Counting calories on MFP is the easy part. The psychological game is what's hard. Might I suggest you ask your hubby to eat his chocolate in the other room during your first few weeks? After awhile, you won't care so much, but those first few weeks without sugar are a bear. Also, find a diet that you can stick with. Even if it takes longer, it'll be easier in the long run.
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Ninkyou wrote: »
    Make sure you are setting realistic goals for yourself and taking baby steps. Don't go all gung-ho or set an aggressive calorie goal or you may end up tired, hungry and feeling deprived. Eat the foods you love (even pizza) in moderation and fit them into your calorie goal. Losing weight shouldn't make you feel miserable or resentful. I know losing weight seems like a daunting mountain, but if you make small sustainable changes or choices, you can succeed easily, it just takes time.

Sound advice.

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,453 Member
    krisbusyb wrote: »
    I started on this weight loss journey last week again for the millionth time (Well it feels like it) I am exhausted already and just want to eat a pizza. I really have no support as my sweet hubby sits beside we and eats his chocolate and never gains an ounce. How do you stay motivated when you feel so exhausted and disgusted? Motivation lacking... ((SIGH))
    Why do you feel exhausted? How are you currently trying to eat less? Have you totally changed the way you used to eat, or are you just being responsible for total calories?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member

Mmm, pizza! Tonight I just finished taking some sourdough starter and mixing warm water and bread flour with it to begin the creation of pizza dough. I also mixed warm water with sourdough starter and all-purpose flour to feed the starter and prepare it to make more pizza dough. It's a few minutes work when I do it. With a little more work tomorrow morning, I'll have 6 pizza dough balls of 140 grams each. For dinner, I'll take one of those dough balls, flour it, toss it, spin it, expand it to about 10" diameter and very thin, then paint it with olive oil and pizza sauce, sprinkle it with chia and add meatballs and cheese, then I'll cook it in my oven on a 500 degree cast iron baking plate for 8 minutes. When I eat it, I'll log it as about 500 calories. That's my motivation.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    I wrote that knowing full well she probably won't ever return to read it.
  • Hello_its_Dan
    Hello_its_Dan Posts: 406 Member

What specifically have you done in the past that hasn't worked?
    What specifically are you doing now?
    What specifically are you disgusted about?
  • debbiebondklein
    debbiebondklein Posts: 158 Member
    I need support too. Maybe we can be buddies . Add me to your friends
  • courtneyfabulous
    courtneyfabulous Posts: 1,863 Member
    Try using a slow rate of loss... the lower your calories the harder it is to stay on track.

I've been losing slowly but (mostly) steadily for 5 months now, so it can be done!

Check out the "success stories" forum to see others who have done this. You aren't the only one who feels that way- we all struggle especially at the beginning... how about this time sticking with it forever instead of starting and stopping for the millionth and one time? How about suck it up and do it?

The only difference between you and the success stories folks is that you started and then stopped, while they just kept going.

• krisbusyb
    krisbusyb Posts: 9 Member
    My life is crazy right now.. I recently have added raising 2 grandchildren to my life. Which has turned my life upside down right now. We are starting to find our groove but I am exhausted most of the time. I am trying my best to stay on track but that is hard. I want to eat what is convenient and quick. I meal prep for week and I am trying to eat better with fewer carbs while using better carbs, I eat more often smaller meals, BUT issue I have is exercise. I cannot leave kids alone to go to gym (I work till 5pm so after work I have to take them home to feed them dinner) . I tried walking with them while dinner was cooking but the 4 year old kept stopping and it turns into a leisurely walk. I am already getting up at the crack of dawn to get them to daycare and school on time. UUGGHHH I feel defeated already!
  • krisbusyb
    krisbusyb Posts: 9 Member
    JeromeBarry1... I did read it but I like to use cauliflower for my crust. It is actually very good and not that hard to make.

• metalmeow1
    metalmeow1 Posts: 110 Member
    I'm fortunate. My partner's very supportive.

Unfortunately, he has the polar opposite nutritional needs that I do, so not only do I watch him eat it and get to smell it, but I have to freakin' cook it.

The beginning was the worst for me. It takes immense will power and knuckling through as your body, appetite and tastebuds adjust. Once they adjust, it's much easier. I still have pizza. I portion control. I want it far less tbh. The grease makes me feel gross if I have too much of it. You'll get there
  • unparalleledAF
    unparalleledAF Posts: 45 Member
    I tried walking with them while dinner was cooking but the 4 year old kept stopping and it turns into a leisurely walk.

Are you able to run for short distances? Maybe you could bring them to the local high school and make a game of sprinting to one line on the football field (everybody can tell how frequently I watch sports! hahaha), then walk back. Sprint to the second line, and then walk back.

The football field at my local high school is enclosed, which should minimize the chances of your grandchildren running far off.

Alternately, maybe on your neighborhood walks, you could play a seeking game to keep the four-year-old moving? Have a list of things that she needs to be on the look out for, so that if she doesn't see it, she should keep moving until she does. :)
  • bmayes2014
    bmayes2014 Posts: 232 Member
    @Krisbusyb it sounds like you have a lot on your plate. It also sounds like you're really doing a good job with things. Don't be so hard on yourself. Remember - you don't NEED exercise to lose weight. All you need to do is be in a caloric deficit. I have a kid and also get up at the crack of dawn for daycare and then off to work and he takes most of my time in the evening as well. I say that because I sympathize. It IS HARD, but it's not impossible. I crave pizza - I've been making skillet pizzas (takes about 15 mins) recently to satiate my cravings and keep me on track and not exceed my caloric intake. Don't feel defeated. I make a lot of quick salads. I use my crock pot a lot. If you can stay on track with your numbers and be strong enough (will power) to make the right choices - you will succeed! good luck.
  • Geocitiesuser
    Geocitiesuser Posts: 1,429 Member
    Self agency