Hi from sunny (and warm) New Mexico!

Options
I've fought weight gain much of my life. I can get my weight down to moderately healthy levels, but eventually succumb to snacking by the TV (especially during football season). I basically slacked completely on counting calories during 2016 and paid a price. I weighed myself this morning for the first time in a year and see that I need to lose around 25. That's doable. I dropped around 30 pounds two years ago and 102 pounds five years ago. I just hate feeling hungry, and I do even when I eat my RDA. I don't sleep well when I'm hungry (poor sleep is an issue for me).

I mostly bike for exercise. I rode over 5000k last year (fiscal 2015-16), but I opened a new business in 2016 and it cut into my biking time. So this (fiscal) year isn't looking so good (maybe I'll hit 3000k). I also walk 18 holes most weekends and do a few hours of yard work each week. I hike (or backpack) occasionally. Only rarely hit the gym. I also do a lot of astronomy, but that doesn't burn many calories (especially with a single malt in my hand).

Hoping to connect with a few people to help me energize this latest effort. 210.4 this morning. Want to get under 200 by early May (nephew's wedding), then take off another 15 before football season starts up again. I look forward to interacting with you.

Replies

• antinomiancelestial
    antinomiancelestial Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Hi! I think you're off to a good start in terms of identifying when problem behavior happens (in front of the TV, during football season, etc.)

One thing I found out about that helps with the hunger is eating more calories earlier in the day and fewer later in the day. It also helps to start off the day with LOTS of protein. Yesterday, I had fajitas with beyond meat (a vegan chicken substitute) for breakfast and felt pretty good for most of the day. Today, I had a tofu scramble that was lower in protein and am struggling, even though my calorie count has been higher today. The more protein you eat early in the day, the better. One simple way to accomplish this is by having a protein breakfast smoothie early in the morning. I'm planning on trying that for tomorrow.

Also...if you want a lower calorie football snack, try making cauliflower wings. You can have your same tasty chicken wing sauce (if you like those), but it'll be on cauliflower, so you'll have way fewer calories.
  • badsocref
    badsocref Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thanks for replying and thanks for the football munchie idea. I eat a pretty decent breakfast with a fair amount of protein in it. Lunch is usually minuscule but also fairly protein-rich. I save most calories for the evening. I don't sleep well if I'm hungry, so I kind of save a bunch of calories for 9-10 pm, then go to bed with a fairly full belly.
  • justcallmedave
    justcallmedave Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I struggled with low calorie diets I switched to LCHPGF and haven't looked back, rarely hungry , Good luck