Cutting/Bodybuilders diet

Options
I have looked at some diet plans on the bodybuilding site. I was interesting in some of the plans by Jamie Eason, basically to lose weight and slightly tone up.

However, they sounded really expensive- 6-8 meals a day, protein with every meal (up to 6 eggs or chicken), protein powder and supplements, as well as lots of spinach (it was a while ago when I looked at them).

If you do a cut, do you eat whatever you want as long as your calories are reduced, or do you eat a bodybuilders type diet? Is there a cheaper way to do the bodybuilders diet? the only thing I thought of was starting a vege garden and getting some chickens (lol). I don't think our land lord would like that though.

Although, maybe that's not something I need to worry about for a while- still need to lose 40+ kgs.

So the main question is, if you cut, how do you cut? do you focus on macros, eat in a traditional way or just calories in/calories out?

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    Plenty of bodybuilders follow IIFYM...
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I follow IIFYM
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    I eat literally nothing but chicken breast tenderloin, tuna, very low carb protein powder, and a single bag of asparagus with dinner. Luckily my cuts only last a couple of weeks.
  • slacker80
    slacker80 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I learned to not overly macro-manage a simple solution. Deficit -250 cals < maintenance. re-access every 7 days. Adjust/continue until desired weight/bf%. Adding a re-feed day every 4 day or so can help keep the metabolism rolling so it doesn't adjust to quickly to the calorie deficit.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Your goals are most effectively reached by the taking the smallest steps necessary to reach them.

Bodybuilders diets are for bodybuilders. If you have 40 kilos to lose, you aren't a bodybuilder, you are a normal dieter. You can eat a normal diet. If you have 40 kilos to lose, you may have forgotten (or never learnt) what a normal diet is like. MFP can help you figure that out and get used to it (again).

Use your food diary and log what you want to eat for a day. Look at the calorie total. Are you hitting your goal (*/-50)? Great! Did the food you chose, make you feel full and satisfied? If it did, keep doing what you are doing. If you feel something is missing, setup MFP to track protein, fat and carbs. Try to hit those goals too. Now you should feel better - more energetic, awake, happy, satisfied. Experiment with meal timing and composition to get closer and closer to your optimal diet.

Adjust calorie goal as you lose weight.
  • queenbcronen
    queenbcronen Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Just started LiveFit... following :)
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,397 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I have looked at some diet plans on the bodybuilding site. I was interesting in some of the plans by Jamie Eason, basically to lose weight and slightly tone up.

However, they sounded really expensive- 6-8 meals a day, protein with every meal (up to 6 eggs or chicken), protein powder and supplements, as well as lots of spinach (it was a while ago when I looked at them).

If you do a cut, do you eat whatever you want as long as your calories are reduced, or do you eat a bodybuilders type diet? Is there a cheaper way to do the bodybuilders diet? the only thing I thought of was starting a vege garden and getting some chickens (lol). I don't think our land lord would like that though.

Although, maybe that's not something I need to worry about for a while- still need to lose 40+ kgs.

So the main question is, if you cut, how do you cut? do you focus on macros, eat in a traditional way or just calories in/calories out?

I suspect you are referring to bodybuilders who are in the process of contest prep? The a-typical chicken, brown rice and sweet potato combo?

The newer body builders follow a variety of diets. It really depends on who they are and what their requirements are. I see everything from ketogenic to Flexible Dieting (IIFYM) to Vegan. Ultimately, manage calories, ensure you get enough protein (~.6g to .8g per lb; towards the bottom since you are 40kg over weight), and train hard.
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    Agree the JE diet is to me too restrictive and for the Live fit routine too few calories. To lose weight you need a calorie deficit. Yes for most "bodybuilders" there is more protein involved to prevent muscle loss. I follow IIFYM as well and I find it is definitely easier than following a strict diet where you are told what you can and can't have. It does require some Pre-planning, but most diets do. Weighing food and logging everything is imperative, but again this is typically the key to successful weight loss with any plan.