Low Carb People Help!

Options
I'm wanting to do a low carb diet but I'm not sure how to split up my percentage of carbs, protein, and fat.

Replies

• slytherinlass90
    slytherinlass90 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I go 25% carb/starch 25% veg and 50%protine I try use as little fat as possible 0% added fat and trimming all lean produce. no added sugars to. I try use honey for sweetness but avoid over all. Be aware you are about to get lectures saying carbs are good but its true carbs in mostly everything.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I'm wanting to do a low carb diet but I'm not sure how to split up my percentage of carbs, protein, and fat.

When you think about why (or whether) you want to eat low carb, you'll figure out how to set your macros.
  • DanSanthomes
    DanSanthomes Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I did 40% Protein, 30% Carbs and 30% fats (500 cal daily deficit) for 2 months and lost a pound a week, every week. Combined with cardio and resistance training I lost the weight without starving myself and put on a bit of muscle.

My advice though (after a shock early on) is to definitely weigh your pasta/rice/cous cous etc. as my normal portion sizes were IMMENSE on the calorie scale! :-)

Best of luck.
  • Sara3434
    Sara3434 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I'm doing super low carb at the mo so 5% carb, 65%fat 35% protein. But I got these percentages by reading up what I wanted to do and where I was at at the begining. I know a lot of people don't agree with super low carb my fiancé being one, but it works for me. Try reading up on it a bit more and see what you find out
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    A low carb diet is generally defined as eating fewer than 150 grams of carbs a day (no official definition) but some definitions cap it at 100 grams. How low you wish to go on that spectrum and how you wish to split your other macros is up to you. Experiment and see which breakdown feels most enjoyable to you. Some do best about 100-150 grams, others do best eating a ketogenic kind of low carb diet (about 5% carbs and higher than 60% fat).
  • K_Anness17
    K_Anness17 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I do 10% carbs, 20% protein, 70% fat. Have lost almost 35lbs. I also do intermittent fasting most days
  • Hamsibian
    Hamsibian Posts: 1,388 Member
    Options
    I eat about 100g of carbs, and most days my ratios are around 50f/25p/25c.i am not perfect with these percentages. as long as I cosume an adequate amount of protein, everything else just falls into place.
  • rjan91
    rjan91 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Hamsibian wrote: »
    I eat about 100g of carbs, and most days my ratios are around 50f/25p/25c.i am not perfect with these percentages. as long as I cosume an adequate amount of protein, everything else just falls into place.

I do this although constantly tweaking. If I can get my carbs under that is my goal. I also look at my net carbs (carbs - fiber) to keep between 50-75gm total.
  • rckc1
    rckc1 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I follow OKL macros---Optimal Ketogenic Living. I was LCHF for over 2 years and lost a lot of weight, but at the expense of muscle. I feel much better/stronger eating at my current macros. Check them out on Facebook!
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    A low carb diet is generally defined as eating fewer than 150 grams of carbs a day (no official definition) but some definitions cap it at 100 grams. How low you wish to go on that spectrum and how you wish to split your other macros is up to you. Experiment and see which breakdown feels most enjoyable to you. Some do best about 100-150 grams, others do best eating a ketogenic kind of low carb diet (about 5% carbs and higher than 60% fat).

Exactly right. Low carb is 0 to 100-150g of carbs per day. That works out to 0 to 40% of your macrose based on your total caloric intake. Ketogenic is usually under 50g of carbs, which is often 5-10%.

Most low carb diets are moderate protein. Often between 15-30% but some go higher or lower based on their needs.

Books to look into are New Atkins, Art an Science of Low Carbohydrate Living, Keto Clarity, Dr Bernstein's Diabetes Solution, Primal Fat Burner... There are a lot out there since LCH has had a resurgence in popularity. :) Those books have dietary suggestions.

Try a TDEE calculator to play with it. These have a LCHF slant to them:
    https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwidpsmO5M7SAhXpy4MKHfZRALoQFggcMAA&url=https://keto-calculator.ankerl.com/&usg=AFQjCNFfqcGFmSCMD0eSLLIgBOqfqCXiQw

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwidpsmO5M7SAhXpy4MKHfZRALoQFgghMAE&url=http://www.ruled.me/keto-calculator/&usg=AFQjCNFu8DgXadArsjsFIFnn3LLvMxa3yw
  • critt112
    critt112 Posts: 1 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    If you are trying to do a low-carb/ ketogenic diet you need a high amount of fat. If you google "Keto Calculator" you will be able to input your information and will get the numbers. I normally run about a 5% Carb/ 70% fat and 25% protein. In order to successfully enter ketosis you need a HIGH amount of healthy fat in your diet.
    I changed my diet to ketogenic over a year ago, the way I feel is amazing. I can't begin to tell you the amount of good things that have happened to me. (Not only weight loss, I feel better, and my arthritis flares are down immensely)
    I go 25% carb/starch 25% veg and 50%protine I try use as little fat as possible 0% added fat and trimming all lean produce. no added sugars to. I try use honey for sweetness but avoid over all. Be aware you are about to get lectures saying carbs are good but its true carbs in mostly everything.
  • catharinamkotze
    catharinamkotze Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I do 60% fat, 30% protein and I0% carbs.
    Satiety is so good I now only eat once a day.
    Health has improves tremendously, high energy levels and weight is dropping.
  • dhscatcher13
    dhscatcher13 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm on a low carb high fat woe. I started January 4th and am down 26lbs. I do 75% fat, 20% protein and 5% carbs.
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    I suggest you check out the main low carber daily forum group here in MFP. It's where most of us Ketophiles tend to hang out:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/discussions/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options

Not sure what kind of diet you're doing (or think you're doing), but it's most certainly not low-carb or keto. Quite honestly, if you're trying to do low-carb, you couldn't be doing it much more wrong.