Military weight loss tips

Options
sammyce99
sammyce99 Posts: 2 Member
I want to go into the military, but the one thing that's holding me back from signing on the dotted lines is that I have to lose 20 pounds! Yah anyone can probably go and do it, but I'm an active teen whose in 2 sports, going to the gym everyday plus watching my calories.. and I am having a hard time!! Any tips would be awesome!

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Just eat a little bit less...
  • xsmilexforxmex
    xsmilexforxmex Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    Depending on how long you've been watching your calories, you might need to adjust the amount/way you monitor (such as actually weighing food vs estimating or using measuring cups). If you just started, set your MFP goal to 1lb a week and follow what it gives you. Adjust as necessary and give it a few weeks between adjustments to see if it will work.
  • welshryan
    welshryan Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    My trick is to plan ahead. I know what I am eating the next day, that way I don't miss a meal or binge when I am hungry or nervous or anxious.
    I also have had great luck with macros -equal amounts of protein and carbs with fat.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is about calorie eaten being less than calories burned. Since you say you are calorie counting you need to make sure your calories in are correct. A digital kitchen scale and using correct database entries here on Myfitnesspal will help that a lot. The following chart may help as well.
    tm7e73iqvndw.jpg
  • paradise254
    paradise254 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    And never stop once you get in. So many blow up once they have been in a few years. Fitness will take you far in the military
  • tooliebell
    tooliebell Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Ditto on the scale. I finally got one and weighed the half cup of old fashioned oats I have been eating and I was way off in how much is actually in the half cup.
  • karleeggarner
    karleeggarner Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Lots of good info already. I would also add that not all calories are equal. Watch your macros. Eat more protein. Eat quality carbs. Add lots of veggies to your diet. Maybe try using an IIFYM calculator to get a better idea of what your Macro goals should be. Eating less isn't always best, especially if you are active. The quality of your food however will make a significant difference.
  • griffinca2
    griffinca2 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Ditto to all the above; and just want to add one more thing. You may want to check to see how much sugar you are eating, especially if you are eating highly processed food items. Manufactures sneak it into food items, so reading package labels cutting back on highly processed food (as much as you can-know can be difficult to cut it all out) will automatically cut back on sugar (and sodium as well). I spent 33 years between active duty and reserves and enjoyed my time in; good luck on your journey!! B)
  • dannmorris
    dannmorris Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I served 21 years in the Navy. When I was 18 and needed to lose weight to join, I kept it simple...cereal & low fat milk or eggs & toast for breakfast, a huge salad with a protein for lunch, and a protein & vegetable for dinner. Throw in two pieces of fruit during the day!
  • headtotoetherapy
    headtotoetherapy Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    See your Dr. first. Then perhaps a nutrionist to see what your diet is like. Good luck
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!