I am addicted to food.....and soda.....

Options
ok so i need help on how to not eat so much. I am always hungry so therefore i eat alot. i currently weigh 201 and my doctor wants me to be at around 120. I know what to do to get there, but I have a problem with eating. Yesterday I had a sandwhich and 16 pringles and i was still hungry.....for dinner without even thinking about it i ate 3 hamburgers!!! any advice would help. I wrote down choices on what i should eat for each meal plus walking an hour a day...but what about the constant feeling hungry???? please help!!!

Replies

• riannenrings
    riannenrings Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    vegetables! and i also notice the more i exercise..the less hungry i am. drink water!
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    Eat slowly if you aren't already. The slower you eat, the more time you give your body to realize it's getting full. If you inhale your food quickly, it's very easy to over eat.
  • gritgirl
    gritgirl Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    i might be a food addiction. overeaters anonymous is an incredible organization. my mom was a member and she finally was able to come off all her medications and was a much happier person after she joined.
  • mizpaden74
    mizpaden74 Posts: 3,727 Member
    Options
    I struggle with this too -- bring on the advice!!
  • jrueckert
    jrueckert Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Eat Slower
    Drink More Water
    Eat More Protein
    Hunger is in your head a lot of the time...
  • stefraab
    stefraab Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    If you open your diary maybe we can make some suggestions based on what you're eating.

Protein will help you stay full too :-)

Eating slower is a great suggestion. I fill up WAY faster when I'm eating slowly
  • rileamoyer
    rileamoyer Posts: 2,411 Member
    Options
    Make sure you include snacks during the day to keep you from being so hungry at meal time, drink a large glass of water about 30 minutes before you eat. Include a bunch of celery stalks as snacks or with your meals, that is what helped me, they take a while to chew, and have very few calories.

There are lots of ways to help you over come this. Open your food diary so your friends can review and offer suggestions.
  • sunkisses
    sunkisses Posts: 2,365 Member
    Options
    Have a big glass of water - then eat. Keep your mind busy as well. When I'm running around a lot doing things, I forget to eat because I don't notice the hunger until I slow down for a bit. And if you want to take the philosophical angle, imagine what a luxury it is to be able to eat the moment you feel hunger.
  • rblauvelt7
    rblauvelt7 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Two cups of water (or a 16 oz bottle) before every meal. That's what worked for me when I was struggling to stay under my 1200 goal at the beginning. Now that I'm used to eating less, I have to plan meals out ahead of time just to get up to my goal calories.
  • sweetheart03622
    sweetheart03622 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    Choose foods that are more substantial. Pringles are a lot of calories without any fiber or protein to keep you feeling satisfied. Fruit and veggies fill you up with minimal calories. Water also makes you feel fuller. If you can't stand plain water yet, try crystal light. Honestly, you need to take it slowly, you can't just swap to 100% healthy over night, it'll never work. Find the healthy foods you like (cherries, grapes? whatever) and stock up on those... then make a goal of trying one new healthy food per week. I have lots of healthy recipes as well if you're interested in cooking!
  • areittinger
    areittinger Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I do Breakfast lunch and dinner, and 2 small snacks in between, Drink lots of water. It sucks in the beginning but with time eating 5 times a day will eventually become a task. ( for me anyway) Also if your exercising regularly don't feel bad about eating back some of your calories burned if your still hungry at the end of the day.
  • sovannac
    sovannac Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    I find that writing down everything I eat is a huge help. It's sometimes a pain trying to figure out calorie intake but with determination and self control you can do it.

Also, if you're writing down what you should be eating, then eat those items! Again, it's hard but you'll get used to it. As for the constant hunger, you have to get in the mental mindset and ask yourself if you're really hungry or if you just want to eat. A lot of us eat just because we're bored and we think we're hungry. If I'm "hungry" I drink water or tea to fill myself up and if I'm still grumbling for food 30 minutes later then I munch of veggies or fruit.

Good luck!
  • Cdcaldwe
    Cdcaldwe Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Excercise more...Stay outside in the evenings as long as possible. I try not to come inside until after dark. By the time i take a shower and get ready for bed i don't have time to go back to the fridge.
  • MamaKatel
    MamaKatel Posts: 180
    Options
    I have the same problem... I am ALWAYS hungry. I recently found that lots of fiber has helped keep my hunger at bay. I take fiber supp. as well as eating foods high in fiber along with LOTS of water and I've noticed that my eating has been cut in half!
  • Heatherbelle_87
    Heatherbelle_87 Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    Believe me Ive been in your spot. Lean proteins (chicken is cheap) and brown rice are always helpful. Learning a proper portion so atleast youre logging properly to see how its affecting you. If you like making your own hamburgers instead of buns buy sandwhich thins, they are round and perfectly sized but 1/4 of the bread! so you taste the meat more, and also alot of brands are whole grain. Try getting more fiber, raw fruits and oatmeal are easy, cheap, and good sources. Expand your vegetable pallate. Salads with vingarette (even italian) dressing and some chicken or other lean protein mixed in. Broccoli, you can eat a ton and its very low cal, just dont smother it in cheese and butter! Anytime youre eating a grain/pasta/bread make a point to drink extra water while eating and right after, this will cause it to "puff up" in your stomach, keeping you full longer and also aides in digestion. Most importantly dont deprive yourself but try to make healthier substitutions or eat something healthy with your "bad" choice
  • sent4rmabove23
    Options
    vegetables! and i also notice the more i exercise..the less hungry i am. drink water!

That's true my hunger goes away when I excercise too...
  • solsista
    solsista Posts: 2
    Options
    I have the same probably. I was weighed recently and I gained 20 lbs (180 to 200)! That's the reason I'm on this diet. Just stay motivated and keep going!
  • u2fergus
    u2fergus Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I like the advice someone gave about slowing down when you eat. It REALLY makes a difference.
    Another good suggestion I heard is try not to do other stuff while you're eating. Since you're going to be allowed fewer calories per day when you're trying to lose weight, better just enjoy the ones you have! Why waste them all by wolfing something down when you're not even thinking about it?
    Another thing is it sounds like you might be eating food that is high in calories but not very filling. Soda is completely worthless... I have to just cut it out of my life entirely, personally. Try to wean yourself off it and start drinking more water instead. Or tea. As far as food, start looking for foods that are high in fiber and protein (or even healthy fats) and lower in carbs. Also watch how much bread you eat... that is my Achilles heel for sure, and I can always tell on the scale if I'm not monitoring my bread intake carefully enough.
    Just some suggestions...
  • Dtho5159
    Dtho5159 Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    I used to have the exact same problem! I started looking for items with more protein and fiber. I started buying a pack of chicken breasts or tenderloins and would make up enough for a few days. Put them in salads, tacos, etc.
  • leynak
    leynak Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    I used to be hungry all the time too. How much do you drink daily? I found that after I started drinking at least 64 oz of water a day I am not always so hungry. Also, when drinking pop/soda I always got hungry even when I shouldn't be- I don't drink pop anymore so I think that's helped. I also realized that all those times I was "hungry" I really wasn't I just wanted to eat. What can I say I love food! :) But I have slowly been lowering my portion sizes and eating slower. Even now there are times where I finish eating and still feel a little hungry but if I wait 10-15 minutes it usually goes away. Good luck on your journey :)