Tough Mudder?

Options
Anyone done a Tough Mudder that can share their experience? Thinking of doing one in May. I did a Spartan Sprint last year and loved it but those obstacles are much more straight forward and non-threatening IMO lol. Nervous about the electric shocks and icy water!!

Replies

• AverageJoeFit
    AverageJoeFit Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I have not done one, but I find your post interesting. I do Spartan Races because they are hard. The obstacles are straight forward, but difficult.

I have never done a tough murder because I like to do things that are hard, but electricity and ice sounds more like torture then diffecult.

Just my opinion.
  • cessi0909
    cessi0909 Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    I have not but every year I look at it and consider signing up....and then decide not to. Some just look so not fun haha I do a mud run that I like a lot
  • dancin_homie
    dancin_homie Posts: 20 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I am doing my first one this year! Definitely feeling some nerves but am so excited to complete it! (Very excited obviously--it has been my goal for years) My sister, who I am running with, has done it twice and has stated that even though it is tough it really is about succeeding as a team. You can also go around obstacles if you aren't comfortable or don't feel safe doing it--it tests you mentally and physically to the max. From my understanding it is a pretty judgement free zone where teamwork and positivity outweighs getting the best times and competition.
  • socalrock
    socalrock Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    My brother has done Tough Mudder 3 times, he's an adrenaline junkie like me so he's into the crazy stuff, he loved it (obviously or wouldn't be a repeat offender) but he is extremely fit, 24 y/o old and it kicks his butt every time, but you get a free beer at the finish line so there's that lol :)
  • jessib1984
    jessib1984 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Doing my first "Mud, Sweat & Tears" this August, which I heard is a lot like Tough Mudder. Super excited, have a great team. Find people to do it with you who won't leave you laying under a fence getting electrocuted ;)
  • zoeandnimo
    zoeandnimo Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Haha - my friend has promised to help me if I end up unconscious and face down in the mud. Lol.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    I did a TM a few years ago, it was fun. The shocks weren't a big deal at all. The ice bath sucked, but it was hot, so you were able to recover. Having to deal with the ice bath if the weather was colder can't be any fun at all.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    Just do it! I haven't done one but most of my friends are extreme mudder junkies and i hear about it all day long, i volunteered once and saw everything and everyone's struggles. you can skip any obsticles you want. The normal tough mudders are just lots of groups of fit friends and families pulling together in teams to push everyone through. The Young helping the old, the strong helping the hurt or handicapped. For most people its more about the team spirit and having a fun day than it is about 1st place. Make sure you have good endurance, even though you dont have to run the whole thing lots of people walk it. GEt some friends together and go and have fun.
  • Erica262
    Erica262 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking about doing one in June with my brother for our birthdays. I'm interested in hearing some training advice from people who have done it too.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I did one a few years ago. The ice bath took my breath away (it was 100 degrees on course, so it was a bit of a shock), but the electrified obstacles were disappointing... I didn't feel a damn thing.

I will say that it's probably a much better experience overall if you do it as part of a team. I didn't, I'm not a people person, and it's not a race per se, so it was a lot of run run run, wait in line at obstacle, run run run, wait in line... etc.
  • Ocrgrrrl
    Ocrgrrrl Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    I did one a few years ago. The ice bath took my breath away (it was 100 degrees on course, so it was a bit of a shock), but the electrified obstacles were disappointing... I didn't feel a damn thing.

I will say that it's probably a much better experience overall if you do it as part of a team. I didn't, I'm not a people person, and it's not a race per se, so it was a lot of run run run, wait in line at obstacle, run run run, wait in line... etc.

This^^^ exactly for me. I'm in Arizona, so the Arctic Enema actually felt really good! The Electro shock Therapy was not bad at all until the end where one zapped me pretty good in the thigh and almost put me down! Haha! Cry Baby was pretty interesting...I def agree do it with a team. No one I know is crazy enough to do it with me so I up relying on the kindness of strangers which is really pretty cool. There's a lot of hype around it, but don't worry, it's really not that bad. Have fun!!!!

• SoxyKitten
    SoxyKitten Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I've done 2 here in Scotland. The first when I was relatively unfit. Did them as part of a team my PT took both times. Great fun. Terrified at times but so proud of myself for completing all the obstacles. Definitely a challenge but you feel great at the end. Real sense of achievement. I'm missing out this year because I'm injured & I'm gutted. Go for it I'd say!!!
  • Cylphin60
    Cylphin60 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    I'm doing one in June with my daughter. Really looking forward to it.