I have Shingles

Options
Hey,

So iv just been diagnosed with shingles. Exercise has had to stop as a result. I'm still committed to eating within my calorie limit. I doubt that will be a problem. Iv lots and lots and lots of meds.

Anyone have it before and continue with mfp? Any advice/recommendations.

Thanks

Replies

• flatcoatedR
    flatcoatedR Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Ouch. Been there done that. Now fun.
  • perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    Options
    Hey,

So iv just been diagnosed with shingles. Exercise has had to stop as a result. I'm still committed to eating within my calorie limit. I doubt that will be a problem. Iv lots and lots and lots of meds.

Anyone have it before and continue with mfp? Any advice/recommendations.

Thanks

Never had it but my mom has. If you have a nutrition/supplement store nearby I suggest getting some colloidal silver. Hope you feel better soon!
  • vegmebuff
    vegmebuff Posts: 31,389 Member
    Options
    Wow. Sorry to hear. My auntie went through this and it was quite painful for her (not to frighten you). It's usually associated with someone over 50, so you must have been shocked!

I have recently gotten the shingles vaccine due to my auntie's experience - although it doesn't guarantee that I won't still get it.

No real advice for you, but I hope you get over it sooner than later and that you don't experience what others do.

take care
  • JoJosAnatomymfp
    JoJosAnatomymfp Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. Last night was sore. Rash came today. I heard it is going to get worse before it gets better. I'm not going to let it unmotivate me. I'm going to stick to my calorie counting for sure. Exercise will happen again once I'm better.
  • tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,361 Member
    Options
    I am just getting over shingles. Thankfully a mild case as I started the anti-viral meds within 24hrs of the first (and only) blister cluster appearing on an eyelid.

Hope this bout doesn't linger for you!
  • raindawg
    raindawg Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I had it about 5 years ago but wasn't on MFP at the time. I have a feeling staying on MFP is going to be the least of your concerns once full onset hits. Don't be afraid to use the pain medication. I was going to use mine sparingly but that idea went out the door fairly quickly.
  • JoJosAnatomymfp
    JoJosAnatomymfp Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Iv been over using the pain meds. Hopefully I caught it early. I haven't blistered yet. The rash came this morning. I was prescribed steroids and antibiotics the day before for a chest infection (gp today said I don't have a chest infection and the steroids brought on the rash). The pain I was in last night was so sore. It felt like someone was burning me.

I started the anti viral medication today along with lots of others.

Thanks for replies. I hope I can stick at mfp and I won't get too bad.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,978 Member
    Options
    OP: Hope you get well soon. Hear the effects can be awful.

Got the shot a couple years ago and hopefully I'll never have to deal w/it. Sorry that you do.
  • happymum37
    happymum37 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I've got shingles right now too. I'm not even thinking about counting calories and am just trying to take care of myself and give my body the nutrition it needs
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I had it about a year and a half ago. Mine was very mild. I was eating a fair bit of coconut oil, and using it on the rash. I'm not sure if it helped but it stayed very mild, without any antivirals.
  • mrspett323
    mrspett323 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    What does this come from?
  • crooked_left_hook
    crooked_left_hook Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    You'll want to eat at maintenance while your sick. Even if you're not exercising your body will need the extra calories to heal itself. I haven't had shingles but I've know others who have and I know it can be rough. Take care of yourself, make sure to eat enough and get good rest, and reduce stress so your immune system can do it's job. Hopefully you will feel better soon!
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    Iv been over using the pain meds. Hopefully I caught it early. I haven't blistered yet. The rash came this morning. I was prescribed steroids and antibiotics the day before for a chest infection (gp today said I don't have a chest infection and the steroids brought on the rash). The pain I was in last night was so sore. It felt like someone was burning me.

I started the anti viral medication today along with lots of others.

Thanks for replies. I hope I can stick at mfp and I won't get too bad.
    I'm going to repeat myself, but don't worry about restricting calories for a while. You need to heal before you stress your body.
  • Doctorsookiestrikesback
    Options
    My son had it when he was 8 years old. Small case thankfully but painful none the less. I hope you heal quickly.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    mrspett323 wrote: »

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/shingles/basics/definition/con-20019574

My mom and the people I know who've had it got it from having chickenpox. The virus reactivates as shingles. Mom had red welts/hives all over her body and fought/cried to not scratch all the time.

OP, hope the itching is manageable. I would just eat a maintenance and eat foods that make me feel better.
  • LAT1963
    LAT1963 Posts: 1,375 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Colloidal silver won't do anything but turn your skin irreversibly blue. Don't use it.

There are some topical antibiotics for skin problems such as 3rd degree burns that contain silver because it is toxic to pseudomonas. but it is not absorbed by the body.
  • crackpotbaby
    crackpotbaby Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    Please follow the doctors advice and not the opinions of people on the Internet regarding random treatments.

I hope the antiviral kick into action soon and that the virus is limited to only one dermatome.

Shingles can be excruciatingly painful and is frequently triggered by stress (such as the chest infection you describe).

The best thing - other than taking your medications as prescribed - that you can do for yourself right now is let yourself recover. That means good nutrition and plenty of fluids.

Rest up! Feel better soon.
  • nickiphillips1
    nickiphillips1 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I had shingles 14 years ago (was 33). It was horrible.

If it hasn't hit you full force yet, it will and you won't want to exercise or get out of bed. And you need to take it easy or you will get even sicker.

Eat well and take care of yourself. I hope you have some good pain medication. I remember sleeping all the time and I had someone take care of my kids during the day because I slept till 1 PM every day.

You will get through this. It was a wake up call for me to get more sleep and not push myself so much. I don't know you at all, but this could be way of letting you know you might be pushing it too hard if you are trying to lose weight. Sleep and eating healthy are so important to a healthy lifestyle.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,998 Member
    Options
    mrspett323 wrote: »

As PP touched on - it is chickenpox virus reactivating many years later.

ie person had chickenpox years earlier and virus stays dormant in their system reactivating as shingles in later life - usually, but not always, in older adults.