Frustrated When The Food Options Don't Match

Options
I've had MFP on my phone since 2015. I've never once been able to use it longer than a few weeks because I get really frustrated when my food entry isn't precise and completely accurate. Having to guess at the serving size or nutritional info just makes me feel like I could be putting in the wrong things and then what's the point in even tracking what I eat at all. Does anyone else have this hangup? I want to try and be more consistent with this app but I've really been held back by this in the past

Replies

• pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    Do you have a food scale, one that weighs in grams? Some things I obsess over slightly (like salad dressing and peanut butter), others I don't (like salad greens and broccoli). If in doubt, I try to err on the side of caution with a slight overestimate. Look for verified USDA entries for things like meats, fruits, and veggies that don't have a nutritional label. It doesn't have to be perfect to work!
  • Geocitiesuser
    Geocitiesuser Posts: 1,429 Member
    Options
    It bothers me too. There's like 30 variations of nutrient profiles for "chicken breast". I made a thread the other day and someone recommended going by adding "USDA" to the search term and choosing the one based on 1g (All USDA nutrient profiles are based off per 100g i think).

For packaged foods the phone version of MFP has a bar code scanner that helps a lot.
  • biscuitnow
    biscuitnow Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Well, if it's any help, I've never cared about the details too much and still lost about 30kg with MFP (the last five of which sometimes decide to return...). Maybe you can try to ignore small errors in order to achieve what you're going for?