Looking for other members who have had gastric bypass or gastric sleeve

Options
After 5 years waiting and deliberating I decided to have the gastric sleeve surgery. I had lost weight so many times over the years but couldn't keep it off. So at 46 years old and my health failing I had to do this surgery to save my life. Surgery was January 30, 2017. Looking for friends who have also undergone this surgery.

Replies

• twobuttonsandabow
    twobuttonsandabow Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Hi! I had a gastric sleeve done in March of 2012. Have had a great experience with it! I lost about 80 lbs and over the last few years gained back about 25. I'm back on track and have lost almost 18 of those 25 I gained back and would like to lose about 50 more. Feel free to add me as a friend!

Started at 287, currently at 222, goal weight 170.
  • Hano0oy
    Hano0oy Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi, I had gastric sleeve 18 January 2017, I would like to have friends who are in the same journey and we can exchange tips.. please add me
  • Honeybeeblue1
    Honeybeeblue1 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me as a friend. I have lost 100lbs since mine. 25 lbs still to go. :)
  • JeanWolfSpirit
    JeanWolfSpirit Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Had gastric sleeve surgery March 9 2017 and am looking for people who understand what im going through.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    RNY three years ago and doing good.
  • rdmitch
    rdmitch Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I wish I could better understand your situation, unfortunately I can't relate to the surgery other than as a unwilling participant.
    My wife had GB surgery years ago by one of the top in the nation. She has lost over 150 lbs and kept it off for at least over 10 years.
    A tummy tuck and a few little cosmetic fixer uppers later and she still looks great. There is no doubt the surgery will work and you have to work the program too. I know many others who have had the procedure, lost the weight and then gained it back with interest !!

The down side is since the GB her health has suffered due to the procedure with rapid blood sugar drops, not being able to eat except in
    small slow doses at a time, always vomiting and being sick after eating along with many other not so pleasant side affects. It goes without saying we can not go out to eat or even go to people's houses ( other than those that understand the situation) for a meal as it's pretty probable she will get ill. These were all a result of the surgery. She could have dieted, exercised and lost the weight in a conventional way and not had the surgery. She would not be in this situation then. I would have rather seen the slow safe results rather than the fast track losses.

I'm certainly not putting down the surgery, as each individuals life will dictate what is right for them, I only wish we would have looked more into the long term side affects and talked to others about the aftermath and how your lifestyle will change.
  • iamjennica35
    iamjennica35 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I had gastric bypass surgery January 3rd of this year and I would like to make some new friends.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I don't get ill after eating. I believe it is a combination of having an experienced surgeon and following post surgery instructions to the letter. I can eat at restaurants but I might not clean off my plate.

@rdmitch it might be possible that your wife's gastric opening is too restricted. A follow up surgery might fix that.