Healthy eating

Options
I started eating all healthy foods without any sweet treats other than the occasional one every couple of weeks but now I have started eating them again and I feel so terrible because I feel like I've ruined everything I changed!

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    A healthy diet is varied and balanced. No foods are inherently unhealthy, and no foods are healthy enough to eat in unlimited quantities. Healthy eating also encompasses not obsessing over eating healthy.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    Stop thinking of foods as being healthy or unhealthy. Your overall diet is much more important than the individual foods you eat. Enjoy food and you will be much happier. Keep the overall calories (and macros) in check and you will be healthier.

Good luck.
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Options
    This is why we tell people to make changes to your eating that are sustainable. But don't fret! You aren't alone, many of us have tried different things to figure out what works best for them. I've done low carb, paleo, and 'clean' (as much non-processed foods as I can) eating. It all becomes too much expectation on a person. Now I eat what I want and just make sure I'm in a calorie deficit, it let's me eat foods I want.

You may want to play around with your foods a bit to see what works for you, but you haven't failed anything. It's all food.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Dump the all or nothing mentality...eat a balanced and varied diet consisting of a lot of nutritious whole foods...enjoy your sweet treats too. Look at your diet as a whole...how does a sweat treat undo all of your other nutrition? Hint...it doesn't.
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    A healthy diet is varied and balanced. No foods are inherently unhealthy, and no foods are healthy enough to eat in unlimited quantities. Healthy eating also encompasses not obsessing over eating healthy.

This.

OP, whats a realistic and sustainable method for you, for the rest of your life? There's nothing wrong with incorporating all the foods you like, into a varied and balanced diet.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I started eating all healthy foods without any sweet treats other than the occasional one every couple of weeks but now I have started eating them again and I feel so terrible because I feel like I've ruined everything I changed!

Nothing is 'ruined'... eating sweet treats doesn't negate the nutrition in the rest of what you've eaten...
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    I try to save room for a sweet treat most days of the week. It keeps me from eating the whole bag of cookies if I know I can have a few if I stick to the rest of my plan.
  • jimihndrks
    jimihndrks Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I eat "healthy" if you will but the things I make are really tasty. I am not a fruit person at all and I like real foods like meat and potatoes, soups and those type of things. I have some great recipes for things like Creamy Chicken Enchilada soup or Asian Beef and Snow Peas. I make a mean turkey sausage and throw it into some baked tortillas fit into a mini bunt shaped pans to form a "taco shell", fill with salsa, sauteed veggies (bell pepper, onion), salsas (red and green), lettuce, tomato and low fat sour cream. These are extremely filling and low fat, low sodium, low sugar and low cal. I lost 60 lb in 6 months just by changing my eating habits, no exercise. I now eat small portions every 3 hours (5 times a day) and do not crave any longer. If anyone wants any recipes let me know. I would love any healthy, tasty recipes anyone has. Thanks.
  • JohnnyPenso
    JohnnyPenso Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    What kind of numbers/quantities are we talking about here? Are you binge eating? Are you going over on your calorie targets? Or maybe just talking about a twinkie or donut here or there?