Vegan protein macro% help

Options
So my goal is to build muscle, loose fat, and get toned, my question is how would I know how much protein is too little or too less? As of right now i have it at 72 g of protein is that fine or should I change it? Thanks

Replies

• Boland_D
    Boland_D Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I'd say look up some vegan fitness channels on youtube.
    I'm currently eating around 60-70 a day which I think is plenty for me.
    Some suggestions?
    Jon Venus
    Vegan Gains
    Vegan Hustle TV
  • unicornumame
    unicornumame Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different, but the standard is to eat one gram of protein per pound of body weight. So if you weigh 120 you'd eat 120 grams of protein. Ultimately being toned comes from eat at a calorie deficit.
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Here's a table which explains the healthy ranges for macronutrients, from the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition:
    http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/88/1/1/T1.expansion.html

carbs, 45 - 65% of calories (4 cal per gram)
    fat, 20 - 35% of calories (9 cal per gram)
    protein, 10 - 35% of calories (4 cal per gram)

For your apparent goal of 1500 cal/day...

carbs 675-975 cal, 169-244 g
    fat 300-525 cal, 34-58 g
    protein 150-525 cal, 38-131 g

So 72 g protein is within the healthy range.
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    my goal is to build muscle, loose (sic) fat, and get toned
    Those are different goals, and doing all 3 at once is difficult.

To build muscle - eat at or slightly above your maintenance calories, toward the high end of the healthy protein % range, and repeatedly lift / set down heavy things (which should get progressively heavier as lower weights become easy to lift.

To lose fat - eat slightly below your maintenance calories. It helps to do cardio at least several times a week, and interval training appears to be the most effective in the least time.

"Getting toned" is pretty vague, but is sort of a combination of both of those. Mostly it involves reducing body fat so muscles can show through better, though for some people weight training to develop muscles will also help.
  • msr8898
    msr8898 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I'm currently trying to build muscle @ 5'10" 158lbs. 1880 calories per day, shooting for 25% protein, or 158g per day
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    Just a hint for going forward: your skeletal muscle and organs don't give a *kitten* about your moral outlook on food. Being Vegan doesn't change protein requirements for building or retaining lean mass. @MKEgal has given you some pretty good information to get you started, and as you can see, it includes a pretty broad range of macro potential, which you can vary inside of, depending upon total caloric intake.