What are Some Easy Ways to Eat Healthy?

Options
I have a lot of problems with finding enough time to make proper meals so I usually have to just grab something and go. This is obviously a problem because I tend to grab the wrong kinds of food because they're already there to grab and go. I've tried meal planning and making things ahead and it's just not something that I've found works for me all the time because I live such a busy lifestyle. However, I do want to eat healthy and hopefully save money from not eating out so much. So, I'm wondering if there's any quick and easy ways to have healthier, proper meals without having to spend a lot of time preparing or eating out a lot. Thanks!

Replies

• AndOne8675
    AndOne8675 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I eat all the foods, in moderation. But if you are looking to add more fruits and vegetables, there are a lot of grab and go options at the store. Pre cut and washed, bags of salad mix, cut fruit, whole fruit.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    The produce aisle of the grocery store has many packaged salad kits, chopped vegetables and other easy grab and go things. A bit more expensive than chopping yourself but still cheaper than take out. Pair that with a lean protein like a can of tuna, some cottage cheese or packaged grilled chicken strips and you have a meal.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    If you don't have the time to prepare your own food and you can't change your schedule to make the time, maybe figuring out what grab-and-go options will fit your calorie and nutritional needs is the way to go.

If you're grabbing things at fast food places, most places have reasonable calorie options. If you're grabbing things at the grocery store, most of them have good options (pre-chopped vegetables, pre-cooked protein sources, etc).

But if you're looking for ways to not put aside any time for food prep, stay within a calorie budget, have "proper" meals (if by this you mean not grabbing things on the go), and save money . . . yeah, I'm not sure that is possible.

At some point, you may have to decide what the most important thing is. If it's retaining your current schedule, figure out ways to make grab-and-go work for your calorie budget.

• madiflake
    madiflake Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I am busy too! I used to eat low sugar granola bars and fruit, but found that I had to eat 3 to be satisfied and was hungry after an hour. Lately I've tried eating as much protein as I can in meals as this is what keeps me totally full!

These are things I've found that are easy and protein packed:

cottage cheese (I put mandarin oranges on mine)

hard boiled eggs

natural peanut butter

string cheese

nuts (these are high in calories because of the fat in them, you should only have a handful a day)

Turkey bacon (less expensive and healthier for you than regular bacon)

Lunch meat

Protein powder (throw a scoop with some water and be on your way)

And my all time favorite—Apple Chicken Sausage from Johnsonville (it cooks in 30 seconds, is healthy, and sooo yummy! I would recommend this to anyone)

When I eat a variety of these things, I only have to eat a few things on the side and I get full and STAY full! So I save money by only eating like 3 or 4 things a meal instead of a bunch of granola bars and fruit.
  • izzie218
    izzie218 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Try always having easy access to something healthy. It can be something simple, like an apple, but will make a huge difference.
  • Natso29
    Natso29 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    It sucks being busy but i pick my least busy day, pick two meals that i like a lot, do groceries then cook two massive amounts of the 2 dishes and seperate it into 7 Tupperware containers each and that's my lunch and supper every day. Often one of them is a homemade soup for lunches (i store those in Mason jars) this meal is awesome cause i just throw stuff in a pot and let it simmer while i make and cook the other one.
  • danika2point0
    danika2point0 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I can make super healthy stews, curries, chillis, omelettes, etc. (e.g. lots of veggies, low calorie, and filling) in like 20 minutes or less. If I want the meal to be fast, I choose veggies that I can chop very quickly (e.g. peppers and onions) or that are pre-chopped (in a bag) or already ready to go (e.g. spinach) or that are frozen (e.g. peas) or canned/jarred (e.g. beans and corn). I do not eat meat, but when I used to, the fastest ones to cook were minced beef or turkey. Most of these meals go the same way: a little bit of oil and fry off the onions and other veggies...I would also add water once the oil cooked down depending upon how much I wanted the veg cooked...brown the meat and add...open up some cans of stuff or add some frozen veg...throw some sauce (tomato, curry, bullion, whatever) over it. Serve over boil-in-a bag rice. Done.

I realised most of the things I make is some variation of the process above. I'm all about keeping things as simple as possible, filling, in my budget, and with as much veggies and nutrients as I can. Good luck x
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    If you don't own one already, maybe a slow cooker/crock pot or an instant pot would be a good investment. You can dump in your ingredients and walk away.

There's nothing wrong with things like Lean Cuisine, Smart Ones and other frozen meals - pair it with some steamable veggies and you've got a decent dinner.

You need to find a way to make time if you're busy - that's really all there is to it.

~Lyssa
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Start where you are and add food types you are low on.

Get enough protein- hard boiled eggs, egg muffins, cottage cheese, Greek yogurt, milk, lunchmeat, chunks of cooked meats, tuna, salmon, cheese, nuts, seeds, beans, peas, edamame

Eat several servings of vegetables and fruits a day- many are no to low prep
    Raw vegetables plain or with hummus, yogurt or cottage cheese
    Salads http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10270725/things-to-go-in-salads/p1
    Fruit with yogurt or cottage cheese
    Fruit with peanut butter
    Frozen vegetables are quick to prepare
    Smoothies with fruit and vegetables
    Soups are easy to make ahead and reheat.

Try some whole grains. Whole grain breads, oatmeal, cereals, corn, quinoa, brown rice
    http://vegetarian.lovetoknow.com/List_of_Common_Whole_Grain_Foods