Changing Calories

Options
Hi guys,
So I have been on a 800 calories diet and I want to increase my calorie intake but still lose weight,

will increasing my calories (but still a deficit) make me gain weight? What can I do?

Replies

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    800 calories is super unhealthy. You might gain a little at first but seriously your health is worth it.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    What is your rate of loss on the 800, and how long have you been at it?
  • chocoliyt
    chocoliyt Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    What is your rate of loss on the 800, and how long have you been at it?

Not more than 0.5 kg a week sometimes none
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,992 Member
    Options
    How are you measuring your calories? Are you using a food logging website? How tall are you? How old are you?
  • chocoliyt
    Options
    800 calories is super unhealthy. You might gain a little at first but seriously your health is worth it.

I'm afraid I'll gain everything back since I only lost 3 kg of my weight
  • Gallowmere1984
    Options
    What are your stats, and are you positive that you are weighing/logging properly? I'm a 5'10" male, and I can cut about 4 lbs./week or more at 1200 utilizing 80+% protein.

Obviously, smaller men and women could definitely see a reduced weight of loss with similar or lower kcals.
  • chocoliyt
    Options
    What are your stats, and are you positive that you are weighing/logging properly? I'm a 5'10" male, and I can cut about 4 lbs./week or more at 1200 utilizing 80+% protein.

Obviously, smaller men and women could definitely see a reduced weight of loss with similar or lower kcals.

Yes I'm sure, I always weight at the end of the week. I fail at the protein thing to be honest.
  • chocoliyt
    Options
    How are you measuring your calories? Are you using a food logging website? How tall are you? How old are you?

Yes I calculate everything I eat. I'm a 166cm female weighting 53 kg. I'm not trying to lose much I just want to lose some fat.
  • Gallowmere1984
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Try remedying the protein problem first thing. If you are already hyper restrictive with kcals, you're setting yourself up for some nasty skeletal muscular catabolism without sufficient protein intake.

In light of that, if you were to bump up to say 1000-1100 to start, but make all of those kcals come from proteins, you're likely to see continued loss without too much of a slowdown, though there will be some. Protein's TEF is significantly higher than the other two macros, while also helping to stave off the aforementioned catabolism.

You still haven't given your stats though, so it's impossible to be specific.

ETA: just saw the stats. Yeah, you'd be safe with what I previously stated, though I'd err closer to the high side. Keep in mind though, you are teetering very close to being underweight. I'd personally recommend you not lose anymore weight, but focus on some strength training and calories closer to 1300-1500. And still, yeah, fix that protein issue.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    With your stats I wouldn't worry about losing and instead maintain
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    chocoliyt wrote: »

Yes I calculate everything I eat. I'm a 166cm female weighting 53 kg. I'm not trying to lose much I just want to lose some fat.

For this weight and height losing more weight would not be advised and you should be on maintenance instead. Gradually increase your calories until you are neither gaining nor losing outside of normal fluctuations. If you want to decrease your body fat do some weight training with some cardio but make sure to eat back your exercise calories. This will give you are more toned body without you being underweight.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,986 Member
    Options

Yes I'm sure, I always weight at the end of the week. I fail at the protein thing to be honest.

I don't think gallowmere meant weighing yourself when he asked if you were weighing/logging properly. Pretty sure he meant weighing and logging your food, and you can't just do that once a week.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Options

I don't think gallowmere meant weighing yourself when he asked if you were weighing/logging properly. Pretty sure he meant weighing and logging your food, and you can't just do that once a week.

That is correct. Thanks for catching that.
  • Niples_
    Niples_ Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    800 calories is way too low. Do you do any kind of exercise? My wife is your size and I have her on 1440 calories a day. High protein. At least 110g. She dropped 7 lbs of Fat in the first 40 days. But goes to the gym 4 times a week and lifts weights. If you don't exercise. Then do at least 1200 calories and be more patient .
  • chocoliyt
    Options

Oh, yes I log my food everyday :)
  • chocoliyt
    Options
    Niples_ wrote: »
    800 calories is way too low. Do you do any kind of exercise? My wife is your size and I have her on 1440 calories a day. High protein. At least 110g. She dropped 7 lbs of Fat in the first 40 days. But goes to the gym 4 times a week and lifts weights. If you don't exercise. Then do at least 1200 calories and be more patient .

Thank you, I'll try that.
  • amyr271
    amyr271 Posts: 343 Member
    Options

Oh, yes I log my food everyday :)

Yes, but are you weighing your food?
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    Niples_ wrote: »
    At least 110g. She dropped 7 lbs of Fat in the first 40 days.
    The 7lbs won't be all fat. It will be mainly water and some fat and other things.