Vanity Sizing Out of Control?

Options
124»

Replies

• JaneAero
    JaneAero Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I'm in the UK.
    Back in the 1970s I used to be a 24" waist which was a size 10.
    I think a size 10 is now 28".
  • stormyview
    stormyview Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    The struggle is real. I'm 5'4", 125, and wear a 2 in Ann Taylor Loft jeans...and they're getting big. I have a 0 in the stretchier dark wash. What?? It's worse at the regular Ann Taylor--IF any dress fits, it's a 0. Some are too big.

Are you kidding? I'm not a 0. Im definitely not under a 0. Where do petite ladies shop? I still have inches to lose, so not sure where I'll shop then. No 00 at AT (there is at Loft, ::whew::). I'm not juniors shaped and I'm a 35 yo mom of 4--not going to wear clothes made for a teenager.

There usually is 00 and XXS at Ann Taylor, but you may have to ask them to order it and have it sent to your house. My local AT's manager said she chose to carry more tall sizes rather than 00 regular in store. The other customer (tiny woman who also clearly took 00) rolled her eyes with me at this pronouncement.
  • StargazingGirl
    StargazingGirl Posts: 31 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I buy a lot online now, or in thrift stores.
    Online is easier as each site has its own sizing chart...of which NONE of the companies use the same sizing chart..
    I thought 'wow! When I lose the weight & then I can just grab size 'whatever' off the rack and my wardrobe life will be perfect'..but no.
    It either droops at the waist & strangles the thighs or the other way around.
    The tops, ugh, the tops! If the waist fits, the sleeves are tourniquets, fabulous, now I must pick between a tent or tingly numb sausage arms..lovely.
  • rachelr1116
    rachelr1116 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I've mostly been shopping at thrift stores as I lose weight. I keep track of my measurements and take a small, retractable tape measure with me when I shop. I can quickly measure the waist on a skirt or pants to see if they're even close to my size so I don't have to try on a ton of things. I also sew some of my own clothes so they're just whatever size I am. The few times I have gone and bought new things have been awful. I have size 12 Old Navy jeans that are getting too big but the size 14 jeans I bought at Target were way too tight (although that might have been more that I apparently just don't like skinny jeans than that they didn't fit). Some medium tops fit but some don't. Some of my large tops are almost falling off but I have some XL that still fit fine.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    I've mostly been shopping at thrift stores as I lose weight. I keep track of my measurements and take a small, retractable tape measure with me when I shop. I can quickly measure the waist on a skirt or pants to see if they're even close to my size so I don't have to try on a ton of things.

I have got to remember to do that!
  • unparalleledAF
    unparalleledAF Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    GAP and Old Navy used to be wonderful ego boosts for me.

I haven't thought about vanity sizing in awhile, though. I keep track of my measurements, and use those instead of focusing on the supposed size labels.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!