Nursing student looking for motivation!

Options
kho910
kho910 Posts: 8 Member
I'm a second semester nursing student from Maryland. I need some motivation for healthy eating and exercise during these stressful times so feel free to add me:)

Replies

• brb2182
    brb2182 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hello! I just started on this site today. I watched Fed Up on Netflix today. It was an eye opener for sure about all the sugar in diet foods. My new doctor recommended I watch it and track my food to see where I needed to change my habits. You can work with the site and do one meal at a time. You can do it!
  • HettiePie78
    HettiePie78 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hey there! Fellow nursing student here :) LPN, working on my RN. One semester left!! I'll add you! Best of luck to you :)
  • kho910
    Options
    @brb2182 I definitely will watch it when I'm free, my friend told me it was an eye opener for her as well. thanks for the inspiration, I really appreciate it! Best of luck to you on your journey!
  • kho910
    Options
    @HettiePie78 thanks for the add! Good luck on your working towards your RN degree as well!
  • unicornsuperfan
    unicornsuperfan Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I'm in nursing school too and I understand the struggle! I just started on MFP so feel free to add me!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,526 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    kho910 wrote: »
    @brb2182 I definitely will watch it when I'm free, my friend told me it was an eye opener for her as well. thanks for the inspiration, I really appreciate it! Best of luck to you on your journey!
    Honestly, don't waste your time on a one sided documentary.

You HAVE to have the motivation within yourself. Think about it: does someone have to inspire you to be a nurse or urge you on to go to class and study? Probably not. You'd do it whether you got support or not because YOU WANT TO DO IT. That's what motivation is.

Having worked with lots of nurses as clients, I'll just tell you this: get down good habits on eating NOW. Don't wait 10-15 years down the road and realize you may be 30-50lbs overweight after trying to help others with health issues.
    Exercise is for fitness and health and doesn't have to be some long drawn out program. You can train one body part a day for 20 minutes and then just get in some walking.

As for "healthy" eating, it's much more important to stay with a calorie allotment if you're trying to maintain your current weight. Yes, you do want higher nutritional values if you can get them in, but if you can't, you're much better of not over consuming more calories than you need. Whole foods offer the best value if you can do it consistently or having it as the majority in your food make up.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• kho910
    Options
    @ninerbuff thanks, I really appreciate your words of encouragement and insight!!
  • ccb1030
    ccb1030 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Good luck in your schooling. It's tough. It's hard to be healthy working as an RN, between long shifts, atypical work hours, no time for lunch breaks etc. I find myself eating lots of junk because I can stuff snacks in my mouth and work at the same time.
  • kho910
    Options
    @ccb1030 Thank you so much, I really appreciate it! school is definitely challenging...How are you currently trying to manage between working as a RN and working out/eating healthy?
  • rachelagoodill
    rachelagoodill Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I'm also in nursing school in the UK:) I've put on so much weight in the last 18 months because of this course haha, I'm trying iifym insyead of calorie counting because i get so hungry! Please feel free to add me xxx
  • alexp44
    alexp44 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Good luck! I'm an OT student rather than a nurse but same struggle. Long hours in the classroom and all sorts going on when doing placements.
    It is possible to loose weight - I've lost 25lbs since mid Jan but I've found I have to be super careful with what I eat and hide all snacky stuff (and miss out on the chocs that patients brought in when on the ward which was no fun). I also rely on my fitbit to keep track of how active I am. Without it i'd do nothing all day when I'm not on placement and writing essays and undo all the good work. I get prompts from mine to go move every hour which is great.