Does anyone struggle to fall asleep with hunger?

Options
Il have dinner at 6pm which will be chicken breast with new potatoes and veg and around 8pm il have 1 small slice of wholemeal toast but il get to bed at 11pm and feel so hungry.
Last night it woke me up at 1am feeling hungry,as if I needed food.
Other times I will struggle to go to sleep straight away because of it
Shall I eat more than 1 wholemeal toast before bed?

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Space your calories out however you like. But how many are you eating per day, and what's your height and weight?
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,087 Member
    Options
    Presuming you are eating to correct calorie level and havent set them lower than you should - then you need to look at spacing/timing your intake differently and/or changing to some more satiating foods.
  • sarahlou23xx
    sarahlou23xx Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I'm 5ft 7 and 9 stone 9lbs
    I'm eating 1500 cals
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    You are eating an appropriate amount of calories to lose weight at a good rate, but you are already at the lower end of the "normal" range - maybe you shouldn't aim to go any lower? But if you still want to keep losing, I think you'll just have to play around with meal timing and diet composition. Foods that increase satiety tend to be generally nutritious food - a wide variety of foods from all the food groups. You could specifically track fiber, fat and protein and make sure you aren't under on any of those goals.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    You're trying to get to a unhealthy weight and you're eating too little. Please start listening to your body before you do yourself serious harm
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    I can't fall asleep if I'm hungry (and I struggle with insomnia as it is) so I do have an evening snack most nights. Try adding some more fats and protein (even if it's just a tbsp of peanut or almond butter on the bread); I get hungry again quickly if I have something that's all/mostly carbs.
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    You're trying to get to a unhealthy weight and you're eating too little. Please start listening to your body before you do yourself serious harm

If the online calculator I found is correct, 9st9lbs=135 lbs, correct? I'm also 5'7" and I know "underweight" BMI for us is around 118 lbs or below, so she's slim but still has some wiggle room within the normal range depending on frame size/body composition, etc. I also do 1350 cals/day (plus I eat back maybe 1/2-2/3 of exercise calories) when at a deficit. Sounds reasonable to me.
  • bunnyluv19
    bunnyluv19 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    i agree with macchiatto's advice_I eat supper at 6:30 and save 300 calories for a snack at 10(asleep by 11)usually 2 Tb almond butter on a slice of whole grain toast.it's worked really well& I haven't woken up hungry in months.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    Yep this is why I eat 90% of my calories right before bed
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    I can't sleep hungry, so I have a snack an hour before going to bed. I suggest moving your slice of bread closer to 11 and see if that helps keep you asleep.