Track Running Miles/KM

Options
Hey guys,

Can anyone suggest any GOOD sensors or apps for tracking Kilometers and Miles for runs?

I've tried, Nike + and Mapmyrun.com Iphone app, and neither of those are nearly accurate enough for my marathon training.

Any other suggestions would be good, I have others in the running club asking too ...

Replies

• jillybeanruns
    jillybeanruns Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    Just get a Garmin, honestly. It's the best investment you can make. None of the apps are going to be anwhere in the same field as a Garmin. I have the 405CX and I loooooooove it.
  • squintz223
    squintz223 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I just ran over my Garmin with my van (which REALLY sucks) so I've been trying different apps for my phone.

The google My Tracks one sucked and was way off from where I know the distance.

So far, the RunKeeper app has been pretty accurate to locations that I know. It doesn't give me nearly the detail as My Tracks and my Garmin, but it works.
  • shellee9tj
    shellee9tj Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I also use the Runkeeper app and it is pretty accurate, I sometimes have trouble with the accuracy of my Nike+ but by far the Garmin is pricey but the most accurate!! Good luck with your marathon training!!
  • HOSED49
    HOSED49 Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    I use the runkeeper app also for my iphone, its good, gives pace and time, lets you listen to your tunes, but sometimes the gps doesnt pick up. I have mine set up for an pace update at four minutes and it sucks when you hear her say : time- 4 minutes, distance-0.00 ! So then I have to go back on gmaps pedometor and retrace my route to get my distance when I am done. Another one is GPS motion X, havent used it very much though.
  • Serenifly
    Serenifly Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    wow thanks guys for all the input! First time I've heard of Runkeeper and Garmin! so thanks! :)
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    You can get a Garmin 405 with HRM strap shipped for $199 from Costco.

If you want HRM to track non-running calories you need a 405CX instead.
  • lclarkjr
    lclarkjr Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    If you're training for a marathon, I think it's worth the cost to get a Garmin. They are valuable running tools and you can get one with a HRM strap for less than $200 as was already suggested. Best running tool I own.