Stove top popcorn and coconut oil!! Wow!

Options
Rushgirl82
Rushgirl82 Posts: 223 Member
edited March 2017 in Recipes
I'm blown away with this quick recipe! I've always made air popped popcorn and always used WAY too much butter. Today I used 1/3 cup kernels and 1 tbsp of coconut oil and cooked it on the stove! Unbelievably tasty!
120 calories for popcorn and 120 calories for the coconut oil! I put it in a bowl and gave a couple spritz' of olive oil Pam and sprinkled with salt! I'm so impressed I had to share!

Replies

• 4wren4
    4wren4 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Wow, who knew you could make popcorn this way. I have to try.
  • Rushgirl82
    Options
    @4wren4 you won't be disappointed.
    Add the oil into a pot. Put in about 5 kernels or so on medium heat and cover. When they start popping add a 1/3 cup of kernels and cover again and shake the pot every few seconds to circulate the kernels. The flavour was unbelievable.
  • TESSYTREV
    TESSYTREV Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I eat this way ALL the time
  • Rushgirl82
    Options
    I only just discovered it! When I realized how many calories I was eating in butter alone I was shocked and found this method. The only way for me now. :)
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Try fine grain salt and skip spraying it with Pam.
  • Rushgirl82
    Options
    I will! Thanks! :)
  • CynthiasChoice
    CynthiasChoice Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    I just made popcorn on the stovetop with 1 T Ghee. I've been afraid to try coconut oil. Does the popcorn end up tasting like coconut?
  • Rushgirl82
    Options
    @CynthiasChoice is tastes slightly coconutty on some kernels. Very mild which is good I don't have much of a sweet tooth. But mixed with the salt it's a perfect combo. Similar to kettle corn just way less sweet.
  • 1shedev
    1shedev Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Sounds delicious. I like to sprinkle something spicy on mine.
  • Rushgirl82
    Options
    @1shedev like what? dry spices or like a hot sauce? Ive heard of people putting Siracha sauce on popcorn before lol.
  • Brendalea69
    Brendalea69 Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options
    I've been doing this for a year and I cook 1/4 cup popcorn with 1 Tbsp coconut oil and 1 TBSP butter then add salt when its all popped, It's super yummy :)