Body Pump

Options
bshibs
bshibs Posts: 31 Member
Does anybody else do Body Pump regularly and what weight do you use? I don't know if my calories are tracked accurately with my FitBit for Body Pump but I love the class. I'm trying to increase my weight and looking for suggestions.

Replies

• beerfoamy
    beerfoamy Posts: 1,520 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    yep love Body Pump :DB)

my weights (not including bar as they are light ones):
    warm up - 7.5kg
    squats - 15kg
    chest (bench press) -12.5kg (took me around a year to up this from 5kg)
    back track - 15kg (took me around a year to up this from 5kg)
    lunges - 15kg
    biceps/triceps - 7.5kg
    shoulders - 7.5kg

have only recently upped some to the 15kg - I find it hard to hold the heavier bars across my back for squats and lunges (annoying as I am sure I could go heavier) and to grip it for the back track was evil. But it will only get easier (and invested in some wrist supports which helped).

As to suggestions, how long have you been doing the class? I stuck with 2.5kg-5kg total for each track for the first 2 or 3 weeks to make sure I was getting the form correct. And if I wasn't gasping at the end of a track, the next week I add 2.5kg.

I go once or twice a week depending on my availability for the Saturday class.
  • croftie4
    croftie4 Posts: 221 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    beerfoamy wrote: »

warm up - 7.5kg
    squats - 15kg
    lunges - 15kg
    biceps/triceps - 7.5kg
    shoulders - 7.5kg

I love Bodypump but it took me a while to be brave enough to try it. I have been going for three weeks 2-3 classes each week.

Beerfoamy thanks for posting your weights and how long it took to progress to them as that gives me a good idea of what my progress should be. The weight you list is that each end or in total?
  • pandabear_
    pandabear_ Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    How is this class? They have it at my gym but I'm a bit scared to do it because of the weights. I have been lifting dumbbells by myself in the free weights room instead - so far just 3kg is highest I can do. I have absolutely no arm strength, which is what I am working on.
  • croftie4
    Options
    pandabear_ wrote: »
    How is this class? They have it at my gym but I'm a bit scared to do it because of the weights. I have been lifting dumbbells by myself in the free weights room instead - so far just 3kg is highest I can do. I have absolutely no arm strength, which is what I am working on.

You defo need to start the class. I've been going to my gym since November and saw that Bodypump was the first class to get booked up. I finally to the plunge and went to my first class 3 weeks ago - best thing I ever did

I was nervous and was so pleased I got through the class and even though I was slow changing the weights I did ok.

What I like is that the routine is the same (changes every 3 months) so I can see my improvement I also now know when to change weights and what weight I want to change to. So for example I know to lift heavier on the squats and much lower for the arm exercises.

I love the results too and I've found I'm stronger in the other classes I attend like circuits and kettlebells (try kettlebells as well I love this class as well)

If you have a good instructor they give you guidance on which weights to use and if you tell them it's you first lesson they normally keep an eye on you. Today was my 7/8th class and I went up a weight in one of the lifts and I was so proud of myself

Just take a deep breath and go for it
  • beerfoamy
    Options
    croftie4 wrote: »

warm up - 7.5kg
    squats - 15kg
    lunges - 15kg
    biceps/triceps - 7.5kg
    shoulders - 7.5kg

I love Bodypump but it took me a while to be brave enough to try it. I have been going for three weeks 2-3 classes each week.

Beerfoamy thanks for posting your weights and how long it took to progress to them as that gives me a good idea of what my progress should be. The weight you list is that each end or in total?

The weights I put are totals :)

going tonight after a week off and know I am going to have to push it on the 15kg tracks but not lowering weights! We have a great instructor (my gf, so may be a tad biased - but having seen other instructors who really don't care, maybe I am not) who always asks if there are any newbies and advises them and also lets you know if you can increase/decrease on a particular track due to smaller or larger muscle groups. Is just an awesome workout.

@croftie4 - congrats on upping a weight! it is such a fab feeling isn't it?!! :smiley:
  • beerfoamy
    Options
    pandabear_ wrote: »

I would say go! B) all the classes I have been to (different gyms around my town) have all been really friendly and always really varied ranges of weights being lifted.
    And it really helps with form if you have a good instructor. I used to use dumbells and when I started pump I realised that my technique was pretty shoddy and I wasn't really working my biceps like I thought I was :'(

but now I am, so yay! :D
  • croftie4
    Options
    Beefoamy you have made my day
  • croftie4
    Options
    Made my day because I too work out at 7.5kg and do most lifts at 10kg apart from on bench but my arms are getting better I'm still only up to 5kg. Squats I just increased to 12.5kg but wondering if I should just go heavier but I think I'd have rubbish form if I increase before I'm ready. My hubby still has a six pack at 50 but even he seems interested in the results Bodypump is giving me.
  • MsMaeFlowers
    MsMaeFlowers Posts: 261 Member
    Options

warm up - 7.5kg
    squats - 15kg
    lunges - 15kg
    biceps/triceps - 7.5kg
    shoulders - 7.5kg

have only recently upped some to the 15kg - I find it hard to hold the heavier bars across my back for squats and lunges (annoying as I am sure I could go heavier) and to grip it for the back track was evil. But it will only get easier (and invested in some wrist supports which helped).

As to suggestions, how long have you been doing the class? I stuck with 2.5kg-5kg total for each track for the first 2 or 3 weeks to make sure I was getting the form correct. And if I wasn't gasping at the end of a track, the next week I add 2.5kg.

This is almost exactly what I'm at for weights in the version I do (Group Power, same basic class). Took me probably a month, month and a half, to get to this point, but I missed some classes due to sickness, work, and family problems. I go to 2 classes a week generally.

And I attempt to add more weight to at least one area every week.
  • beerfoamy
    Options

warm up - 7.5kg
    squats - 15kg
    lunges - 15kg
    biceps/triceps - 7.5kg
    shoulders - 7.5kg

This is almost exactly what I'm at for weights in the version I do (Group Power, same basic class). Took me probably a month, month and a half, to get to this point, but I missed some classes due to sickness, work, and family problems. I go to 2 classes a week generally.

And I attempt to add more weight to at least one area every week.

That's awesome! I have to admit I probably don't up my weights as often as I could. I do wait until I am finding it much easier before adding. Last night was fun, the warm up weight of 7.5kg comes off the ground soooo easy now! but it shall remain the same for a long while yet as we get told not to go below warm up weight ever in a track and biceps hurt with that bar! haha

croftie4 wrote: »
    Made my day because I too work out at 7.5kg and do most lifts at 10kg apart from on bench but my arms are getting better I'm still only up to 5kg. Squats I just increased to 12.5kg but wondering if I should just go heavier but I think I'd have rubbish form if I increase before I'm ready. My hubby still has a six pack at 50 but even he seems interested in the results Bodypump is giving me.

aw yay!! squats I do find tricky because you have to a) get the bar up safely onto your back. b) keep it there comfortabley, I may need to have a towel for under there if I up anymore. and c) take it down safely after the track. I find I can just about do that with 15kg at the moment so although I could probably squat 17.5kg, I know I would have difficulty settling and removing the bar - oh well. I have time! :)

You are both inspiring me to up my weights more regularly! :smiley:

• Kiwileah
    Kiwileah Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I love Bodypump, I do Les Mills on demand, 3 times a week. I invested in a smart bar which was definitely a great investment. I'm 51 and would say in the best shape I've ever been in. I also do Hiit (les mills grit) and Liss a two or three times a week I really concentrate on correct form completing ever rep and in turn my weight may be a little lighter. Depending on the release also depends on my weight on the bar. I love bodypump
  • imgr8stmom
    imgr8stmom Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Love body pump. I also do less mills on demand. I bought a bar and some weights and work out from home 4 days a week for 30 minute - in addition to walking about 10k steps a day. M body is define you changing!! Muscle burns more calories !!
  • kbrd8710
    kbrd8710 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I love Body Pump! I go to classes 3x/wk. It does AMAZING things for my legs and butt. Here are my current totals for the Body Pump 100 release:

Warmup- 15 lbs (small and medium plates)
    Squats- 33 lbs (medium and large plates)
    Chest- 22 lbs (large plates)
    Back- 26.4 lbs (large and small plates)
    Triceps- 22 lbs (large plates)
    Biceps- 22 lbs (large plates)
    Lunges- 11 lbs (use single plate on opposite side for lunges and focus on form)
    Shoulders- 16 lbs (8 lb dumbells)
    Abs- (use large plate for extended crunches-- 11 lbs)

(I think I did all that math right. Headed to class now. Feel free to add me as a friend!)