I quit my job because I thought it was making me fat

Options

Replies

• TH2017
    TH2017 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    phill_143 wrote: »
    Good luck with the change!

Of course it's possible to lose/maintain weight in a sedentary job - and many people on here have done just that.

RE-reading the initial post again, I don't interpret it as being purely about weight loss.
    Even though you say you enjoyed the job very much, the long hours, no breaks and implied stress-eating make it sound like it was pretty all-consuming and left you little time for other things that are important to you in life (including, but not necessarily limited to keeping healthy).

I also currently have a desk-based job I enjoy very much and feel valued in - which is pretty great.
    It's not a major issue for me right now, but I'm aware it takes me some conscious effort to monitor calorie intake/fit in exercise to make up for being at a desk all day and that (combined with a long commute and long work hours) reduces free time available.
    I can imagine wanting to reassess whether it still works in a few years too.

(On a related note, I just switched to a standing desk at work, which is great! When no-one is looking, I try to stand on one leg for as long as possible :D )

I kind of agree with this. While you loved the job, there seemed to be some built in stress that may have led to your weight gain. Yes while your habits will always be you habits unless you change them, sometimes you need a catalyst to help facilitate that change. Perhaps a less stressful job will be that catalyst for you. I have been there before as well. I loved what I did but it left me little time to make good choices about eating and working out when it is mattered most - in the beginning a your weight loss journey. Hopefully the job change is the catalyst you need.

I say good luck to you.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    I hope OP comes back. She has started tracking which is great and what needs to happen. But I notice she's way under on protein every day so far. So I'd recommend she focus on hitting that number and let everything else fall where it may.
  • marie9910
    marie9910 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I've done this! Several times, actually as I tried to find a job that I could make part of a healthy routine. In my experience the activity level of my job did not matter nearly as much as my diet, exercise and sleep. You'll do fine as long you are mindful of these things.
  • metalmeow1
    metalmeow1 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    If jobs make you fat then it's all a government conspiracy to kill you before you collect Social Security.

lmfao^
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,950 Member
    Options
    I personally have no weight issues when I have an active job and struggle when my job is sedentary.

However, it is of course possible to out-eat an active job.
  • alavocat92
    alavocat92 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Hello, I was working full time at Tim hortons and gained a good 15 pounds working there. I decided to cut down to working only weekends since my fiance got a promotion, and it would help me to focus on school, as I graduate next semester. As a result, it is much easier for me to avoid the horribly unhealthy food there staring me in the face, as well as making it easier to eat healthier throughout the day. I think If u can afford it and aren't 100 percent committed to your job I say go for it. I wish u the best of luck and hope this helps you
  • matt2673
    matt2673 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    1nprgr3s wrote: »
    So I had this fantastic job, I enjoyed it and I'd been doing it for 6 years. Unfortunately I often worked long hours, sitting down, and not taking breaks and stuffing my face with rubbish while doing other things and over that time I slowly gained 20kg (44lbs). So recently I became convinced that it was my jobs fault I'm fat so I resigned. I'm now about to start a job where I will be on my feet all day and will actually have to take breaks because I won't be able to eat while I work. So realistically is this going to make any difference?

Well, you've traded a job that you love for an unknown. I've made this mistake before and it ultimately cost me in terms of stress eating. It might be better for you to try to develop better personal eating habits. Of course, as I write this, I'm in the process of taking a heaping teaspoon of my own advice.
  • robingmurphy
    robingmurphy Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Having an active job that makes it more difficult to eat whenever will make it a little easier to make good decisions, but you still have to make the decisions.
    This discussion is really helpful to me because I just went the other way - I just took a job that I think I'll love, but has a reputation for making people fatter - lots of travel, eating out, etc. The comment here have been really helpful because they have reinforced that gaining weight on this new job is a choice and I can make different decisions!
  • amtyrell
    amtyrell Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    Zombie thread zombie thread
  • Hollis100
    Hollis100 Posts: 1,408 Member
    edited January 2020
    Options
    oops, zombie thread. :# Will pontificate elsewhere...