Muscle beneath the fat - calling all former athletes

Options
Hi,

I used to be very active and extremely toned so I based my goal weight off of what my body type was the last time I weighted 140. I can still feel my muscle under the fat, but I have been over weight for 3 years now and I am wondering if when I reach that goal my body will look similar to what it used to or if the fact that that muscle wasn't used for so long it will result in a different body shape.

My biggest worry is that since muscle is more dense than fat that I may need to lower my goal weight to have a similar build as I once did. It seems as though the muscle is still there though...at the same time, I don't want to do weight training and build to the muscle and end up big and bulky. I've tried to find info online, but each article contradicts the next. I hope this makes sense. Any thoughts?

Replies

• honeymead
    honeymead Posts: 3
    Options
    I'm not 100% sure this will be helpful, but I personally find it incredibly depressing to think in terms of "goal weight" so I think about the size clothing I want to get into. For example, I'm a size 16 ( :( ) now, but I want to at least get to a size 12--much easier to think about than thinking about losing 30lbs. I was an athlete, and I know I've still got some semblance of muscle down there, according to my doc, I just have to shrink.
  • Drunkadelic
    Drunkadelic Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    I would leave you goal weight, and when you get close just adjust from there!
  • rwd5046
    rwd5046 Posts: 302
    Options
    How old are you? Sure its still there and youth is an advantage for you. Concerning the weight training, just go high reps with less weighth. It helps tone, and keeps you from losing what muscle you have. More muscle burns more fat and don't worry you won't bulk up, just tone. Of course the cardio is important to burn the calories and fat away. Hang in there, you'll get back the body you want.
  • aj_rock
    aj_rock Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Some good news... It's suggested that, even if you lost some of that muscle mass, as an ex-athlete, you'll get back to that point a lot more easily than getting there in the first place.

Just remember the work you had to put in, and prepare to do it again! An added plus, you already know you can do it! You've done it!
  • vanessarf88
    Options
    that's a great question I wonder the same thing, but personally I believe in this rule of thumb.....
    *diet first, (meaning healthier food choices)
    *cardio second (the more cardio you are doing the more fat your body is going to burn :)!!)
    * strength training third
    and *ab workouts last

I think this seems reasonable because everyones body type is different.. this seems like it will tone and help you shape yourself without adding bulk!
    hope this helps
    good luck!!!
  • Anoble17
    Anoble17 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Leave your goal weight. Have more cardio than strength training. In the years you haven't been training intensively you probably have lost some muscle mass. You'll get great results with plyometrics, they get your heart rate going and get every muscle in your body feeling the work you're putting in.

Good luck.
  • JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    you won't get bulky LOL
  • mislove68
    mislove68 Posts: 240
    Options
    Leave your goal for now. Take measurement every week. that makes me feel so much better. And I agree its about the size of clothes. I have a goal to fit back into a favorite outfit from when I was 23. I can fit into it now but little tight. But I adjusted my goal twice now. I do strength training and I am getting way more lean then before with all that cardio mess. Lift heavy! And dont be afraid to lift weight you cant get bulky because we are women!!
  • readytodrop60
    Options
    Thank you for the responses. I'm 27 and my workouts consist mostly of cardio. I also just started the 30 Day Shred. I guess I will pull out my 5 pounders and start doing some sets!

Thank you!