400 lb guy,, need to cut weight in half

Options
i have a list of heath issues which make working out difficult. plus im struggling to hit my numbers right. any advise would be appreciated

Replies

• rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,191 Member
    Options
    You don't have to exercise to lose weight. You need to establish a calorie deficit. That can be done by cutting back food or through exercise or through some combination of the two. In your case, with health issues that prevent exercise, the obvious place to start is through getting that calorie deficit by cutting back on what you eat.

Have you put your information into the goal setter here on Myfitnesspal? If you have, how many calories does it give you for a day? That is your goal, and it already has the calories taken off of it for you to lose at the rate you selected. If you eat and drink to that calorie goal, you will lose weight. Now where people often go wrong is not accurately tracking what they eat, or not including the little bites and sips they have say while preparing food. You need to log everything that you consume to give you accurate number. To start, it would probably be wise to simply eat what you normally eat, measuring out the amounts you eat, and logging it eating less and trying to stay at or a little under the calorie goal you have been given. Then as you discover what foods help you feel full longer, you can incorporate more of them and eat less of those things that leave you hungry soon after eating. Over time you will likely find a few things happening if you stick to this. 1) You will lose weight over time, some weeks more, some less. 2) You will find your tastes change, at least mine did. 3) You will find activity becomes easier so you can start exercising, first with walks, then more intense things as you lose more.

All the best, you can do this.
  • runsiren13
    runsiren13 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    You have made the brave first step. Getting in the habit of logging everything and seeing all of the calories is a hard wake up call but a good one. I still struggle with logging consistently and especially on the weekends. I have a host of health problems and getting healthy is the most important thing. Feel free to add me for support.
  • NikkiiBaby68
    NikkiiBaby68 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    You don't have to exercise to lose weight. You need to establish a calorie deficit. That can be done by cutting back food or through exercise or through some combination of the two. In your case, with health issues that prevent exercise, the obvious place to start is through getting that calorie deficit by cutting back on what you eat.

Have you put your information into the goal setter here on Myfitnesspal? If you have, how many calories does it give you for a day? That is your goal, and it already has the calories taken off of it for you to lose at the rate you selected. If you eat and drink to that calorie goal, you will lose weight. Now where people often go wrong is not accurately tracking what they eat, or not including the little bites and sips they have say while preparing food. You need to log everything that you consume to give you accurate number. To start, it would probably be wise to simply eat what you normally eat, measuring out the amounts you eat, and logging it eating less and trying to stay at or a little under the calorie goal you have been given. Then as you discover what foods help you feel full longer, you can incorporate more of them and eat less of those things that leave you hungry soon after eating. Over time you will likely find a few things happening if you stick to this. 1) You will lose weight over time, some weeks more, some less. 2) You will find your tastes change, at least mine did. 3) You will find activity becomes easier so you can start exercising, first with walks, then more intense things as you lose more.

All the best, you can do this.

Follow what he said. I was at 425 lbs once on a 5ft 3 frame. When I first started before the days of MFP these are the types of things I did because I was quite large and just couldnt exercise yet...You will get there.