Fighting the 40+ metabolism

Options
My status on Facebook a few weeks ago was "the female 40+ metabolism is a recalcitrant b*itch" I have found that since entering my forties it is much, much easier to put on weight and much, much harder to lose it.

A few weeks ago my Dad had a heart attack (he is doing well now) and I spent way too much time on the heart unit of the hospital seeing what a toll certain lifestyles can take on a body (not in my Dad's case - his heart attack was precipitated by degeneration due to Type 1 diabetes - he is one of the fittest, most disciplined people I know). So that and the scale that showed a new gain every day led me to realize that although I was still at an "acceptable" weight, I wouldn't be for long without some effort.

I joined another free weight loss site and lost about 6 lbs using it. Then some friends told me about this one and it is SO much better! Love it. So here I am, and I think I have about 5 lbs to go to get to a (metabolism) fighting weight. Then I will stick around to help maintain it.

Let's see, what else. I am 42, I have 3 kids. I live on an island near Seattle, WA. I am about to enter my last semester of law school. I love walking and watching cheesy reality TV. I have a dog that I love and a damncat that I barely tolerate (I like cats. Just not this particular cat).

So...HI!!

Replies

• fmbarbuto
    fmbarbuto Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Hi! Welcome to MFP! I'm fighting the fight too - will be 41 on Sunday! Feel free to add me as a friend!

Good luck to you! :flowerforyou:
  • bean177
    bean177 Posts: 75
    Options
    I'm 8 years in and it doesn't get better - good that you are focusing on it now, keep it off is the best way - them you never have to LOSE it!!! This is the best site I've found and I've looked at a lot of them. Add friends - we will be your best cheerleaders (and keep you honest)... :happy: :tongue:
  • rissyroo2002
    rissyroo2002 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    11 month count down to 40. I am determined to be in the best shape of my life by then! Welcome to MFP!
  • sundancer1966
    sundancer1966 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am also in that battle!! Feel free to add me also :smile:
  • TinaDay1114
    TinaDay1114 Posts: 1,328 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I turned 40 last fall, and I hear ya!! Feel free to add me too!
  • grahamckas88
    grahamckas88 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain! I'm 41 and can't seem to get these last 10 pounds off! Feel free to add me for motivation and support!
  • smahaney1
    smahaney1 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I fit right in with the "fighting the 40+ metabolism." I'm 47 and although the weight is coming off, it's slow. Feel free to add me as well!
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    Hi Ladies! I'm 52 and peri-menopausal......yikes! My hormones are all over the map and I swear I can gain weight just looking at food!! I have been working out since I was 19 years old and living a fairly healthy lifestyle all my adult life too. But now that I'm older boy I got to tell you.....those 'cheat' days really show. It's sucks! But on the other hand there are a lot of women out there my age and younger who have lost all their willpower to maintain their fitness goals. So first........let's all give ourselves a round of applause for still caring how our behinds look:))) And then.........let's keep moving and stay focused, in the end it will pay off! We may not look 25 again. But we will be healthy and happy and hopefully around for our loved ones for a long time. Now let's all go out and get ice cream.

lol....just kidding, no ice cream ladies.
  • bean177
    bean177 Posts: 75
    Options
    Hi Ladies! I'm 52 and peri-menopausal......yikes! My hormones are all over the map and I swear I can gain weight just looking at food!! I have been working out since I was 19 years old and living a fairly healthy lifestyle all my adult life too. But now that I'm older boy I got to tell you.....those 'cheat' days really show. It's sucks! But on the other hand there are a lot of women out there my age and younger who have lost all their willpower to maintain their fitness goals. So first........let's all give ourselves a round of applause for still caring how our behinds look:))) And then.........let's keep moving and stay focused, in the end it will pay off! We may not look 25 again. But we will be healthy and happy and hopefully around for our loved ones for a long time. Now let's all go out and get ice cream.

lol....just kidding, no ice cream ladies.

Yes, applause for all dieriers!!! :smile:
  • jrnygirl
    jrnygirl Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Ugh... That may explain why I've yoyo'd the past couple years. I just turned 44.
    I'm determined to win the weight-loss battle because I have so many nice clothes that I just don't fit into anymore and I don't feel as good about myself. I want my smaller-sized sexy me back!
  • lbgano
    lbgano Posts: 234
    Options
    Thank you all so much for the warm welcome! Please feel free to friend me! We can do this!