Vegetarian/Vegan Friends

Options
nm212
nm212 Posts: 570 Member
Hi,

I am newly Vegan...looking for Vegetarian or Vegan friends to help inspire healthy food choices! Sharing recipes would also be awesome. I'm trying to do whole food/plant based for the most part...

Thanks!
Nicole

Replies

• zannajune
    zannajune Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I'm also newly vegan, please feel free to add me.
  • caseyjarryn
    caseyjarryn Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I'm vegan (for around 18 months now) and would love some more MFP friends for encouragement and motivation! :)
  • nm212
    Options
    It's been hard for me. I just broke down today and had 2 certified humane free range eggs
  • nm212
    Options
    What are some good egg substitutes? For vegan? I just got sick of eating bread or granola every morning. Oatmeal is good but not used to eating so many grains. I try smoothie but it doesn't fill me up.
  • ssaarraahhhhjj
    ssaarraahhhhjj Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    You could try scrambled tofu, if you haven't already, there are plenty of recipes if you google it :)

Follow your heart also has a thing called 'vegan egg' I think.
  • LilacLion
    LilacLion Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    congrats all you awesome herbivores! You made a great decision for your health, for your mind, for your spirit. I've been whole foods, planted based vegan for about 4 months and love the way I feel. Add me to your list if you like and we can share food diaries and ideas for making it work.
  • Erotyka
    Erotyka Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Vegan of 10 years here... feel free to friend if you'd like to look over my diary. :smile:
  • SusanMcAvoy
    SusanMcAvoy Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    I have been Vegan since May 2016 and won't ever look back. I am open to meeting new friends so add me if you'd like. I am recently back on MFP since 2009. I also had gastric sleeve surgery due to serious health issues and have lost 40 pounds, Yay! I have hypertension, diabetes, vascular and kidney disease but am working hard at staying well. MFP won't let me post my diary because I can only hold about 900 calories per day. It makes me so mad!!!!!!! I take plenty of vitamins and eat mostly healthy. I do have sugar free popsicles and sugar free candy to help with snacking. But I am strict Vegan and strongly believe it is wrong to eat our friends, the animals. A great video to watch is found on Youtube called "The Best Speech You Will Ever Hear" by Gary Yourofsky. His original one, and not the updated version is very very helpful. Changed my life forever!!! Peace and Love to all... and the best of luck to you!
  • SusanMcAvoy
    SusanMcAvoy Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    If you add me as a friend, please indicate in a message you are vegan or a veggie. I have other friends also who are carnivores. I don't judge. This is my thing and I do it for my own personal ethical reasons. I am 59 and live in South Florida. Thanks!
  • nm212
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I will add you all.
  • madisonsimon12345
    madisonsimon12345 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to go vegan, but would love some motivation to stay eating more raw and vegan foods! I have a hard time sticking with it unfortunately... I get lazy and go with what is the easiest option, even if it's not the healthiest.
  • nm212
    Options
    Let's be friends and motivate each other! I just opened my diary recently if you want to see.
  • nm212
    Options
    I also eat quick & easy stuff too. Canned veggie chilli and beans... try to do organic but no patience for making things from scratch
  • HappinessFreedomForever
    Options
    I'm vegan too and trying to eat healthier by the day! Feel free to add me here. :-)
  • LadySciTeacher
    LadySciTeacher Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I just started WFPB this weekend and would definitely appreciate some like-minded friends. My family doesn't understand and are kind of judgy about it.
  • nm212
    Options
    What does that stand for?
  • Okohme
    Okohme Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I'm a veggie too. I've been a vegetarian for about 12 years, I go vegan off and on at different points.

nm212 wrote: »
    What are some good egg substitutes? For vegan? I just got sick of eating bread or granola every morning. Oatmeal is good but not used to eating so many grains. I try smoothie but it doesn't fill me up.

As others have said scrambled tofu is good. What do you do for your smoothie? I do 1/2 cup oatmeal with 1 cup soymilk, 1tsp nutmeg, 3tsp cinnamon in my magic bullet. I find it very filling. I did protein shakes for a long time but it was not satiating, so I started throwing in oatmeal and it helped a lot. Be sure to use regular oats, quick cook are sort of predigested so they are less satiating.

Beans from scratch take a while, but if you make a lot at once then you have lunch ready to go for like a week. I make a pound of black beans at a go.
  • AmyOMAD
    AmyOMAD Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I need Vegan friends :-)
    I am vegan for a year straight now. Prior to that I was on/off for several years.
    I have 0 experience with MFP, but I know that social groups help with weightloss.
    Add me if you like!
  • mfsander
    mfsander Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! I am also Vegan and would like to have more vegan friends. I find that using a pressure cooker (I use the Instant Pot) for beans and rice really helps me stay on track. It cuts down on cooking time and I prepare enough to last for the week so I do not have to try to figure out what to eat last minute. I also eat a lot of salads, root vegetables, and soups. Also keeping fast vegan proteins on hand (i.e. pre-made black bean burger patties, meatless crumbles, etc.) really helps when I feel extra lazy. I do have my days when I hit up Taco Bell or Chipotle as well :)
  • nm212
    Options
    Okohme wrote: »
    I'm a veggie too. I've been a vegetarian for about 12 years, I go vegan off and on at different points.

nm212 wrote: »

As others have said scrambled tofu is good. What do you do for your smoothie? I do 1/2 cup oatmeal with 1 cup soymilk, 1tsp nutmeg, 3tsp cinnamon in my magic bullet. I find it very filling. I did protein shakes for a long time but it was not satiating, so I started throwing in oatmeal and it helped a lot. Be sure to use regular oats, quick cook are sort of predigested so they are less satiating.

Beans from scratch take a while, but if you make a lot at once then you have lunch ready to go for like a week. I make a pound of black beans at a go.

Awesome. Yes , I tried tofu scramble yesterday actually!!! I made alot so I saved half of it and added Veganaise to eat like an egg salad on toast. It was pretty good!! The oatmeal in smoothie is a great idea...I usually just do fruit, flax seeds, and almond milk. Feel free to add me as a friend!