Treadmill smell during break in?

Options
For those who have a treadmill - the first couple times you put it to work during a long walk or run, did you notice a motor type smell (slight burn/oil type smell). Noticing this a bit on mine and wonder if that is expected at all the first few time the motor really gets a run?

Replies

• ktekc
    ktekc Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    I was told it was the new belt when i got mine years ago.
  • Iwanttolosemymummytummy
    Iwanttolosemymummytummy Posts: 82 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Your title made me think something horrendous had happened. Like someone had broken in and done something awful to your treadmill to make it smell, possibly urinated??

So relieved to read the rest of your post and discover that no such thing had happened but had a giggle over how ridiculous my mind is!!!

Pointless in me sharing this and I can't give insight about the smell but I hope it goes soon :)
  • comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    Your title made me think something horrendous had happened. Like someone had broken in and done something awful to your treadmill to make it smell, possibly urinated??

So relieved to read the rest of your post and discover that no such thing had happened but had a giggle over how ridiculous my mind is!!!

Pointless in me sharing this and I can't give insight about the smell but I hope it goes soon :)

I thought it too :D
  • Sara1791
    Sara1791 Posts: 760 Member
    Options

me too
  • Iwanttolosemymummytummy
    Options

I can't tell you how relieved I am that someone else had the same thought. :) It's a weird and wonderful world.
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    Does it persist through the entire workout or is it just at the beginning? Is the treadmill brand new or used?

I notice a burning smell when I use my furnace in the fall after a summer of lack of use - it's just dust accumulated on the parts inside. It burns off pretty quickly and the smell stops.

Perhaps the same is true of a treadmill?

~Lyssa
  • powered85
    powered85 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Notice a fair bit into the workout.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    I knew what you meant in the title!