Music When Lifting

Options
So, I have an android smart phone and Google Play, which is how I get all my music for my workouts. But, I have to carry my phone in an arm band while working out and I HATE it when I have to do anything upper body. What does everyone do for listening to music while you workout? (I don't do i-anything).

Replies

• SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    i wear my ipod when its convenient, and for the lifts that its not convenient i just take it off during those sets.
  • Shawshankcan
    Shawshankcan Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    For weights - blue tooth.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    For weights - blue tooth.

This. My phone sits underneath a part of the power rack, where it's protected in case anything falls. Wireless headphones are the greatest invention for lifters. They are a bit more expensive, but when you consider that I would ruin a set of wired every third overhead press day, the BTs paid for themselves within two weeks.
  • Niples_
    Niples_ Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I don't listen to anything. I like listening to my breathing when I lift.
  • deputy_randolph
    deputy_randolph Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    I don't use my device while benching; working with coach and need to be able to communicate. Use for everything else...only gets annoying when I do shoulders. I usually take the arm band off and shove it in the front of my sports.
  • deluxmary2000
    deluxmary2000 Posts: 981 Member
    Options
    Yeah definitely invest in some wireless headphones. Then you can leave your phone in a pocket or anywhere nearby.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Another vote for bluetooth. Got a very serviceable JVC pair (suppose to be sweatproof) on sale at Best Buy for $20. Have used for 3 months no issues.
  • JaxxieKat
    JaxxieKat Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    I use Bluetooth headphones, not earbuds. I find when I sweat too much, earbuds don't stay in. I lay my phone underneath the bench or against the wall while I'm lifting.
  • DaddyDaveFitness
    DaddyDaveFitness Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I use bluetooth headphones and sit my phone down for sure. bluetooth is the way to go. as long as they have a 4.0 or higher bluetooth version on them you can use pretty much any headphone. i use cheapies and the sounds is fine for the gym and if they get damaged, meh, i only spent 20$ on them. also they make stand alone headphones that have built in memory that you can load a few thousand songs on if you have a set mix. just upload them and bam no phone needed anywhere near you to jam while lifting!
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    I take my headphones out when I transition from cardio to weights. When lifting I focus on my breath and counting.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Bluetooth or nothing.

Lastvthibg I want to do is have wires dangling messing up my groove.
  • runlikeagirl1985
    runlikeagirl1985 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! Some good ideas for me to ponder.
  • PandoraGreen721
    PandoraGreen721 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    As everyone else has said Bluetooth. I do set my phone on the ground..so my only concern is the morons that throw around weights...but I try to set it as close to under the bench I'm using as possible.
  • cgvet37
    cgvet37 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    I just put my phone on the ground, next to where I'm at. Bluetooth is your friend.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    I finally made the switch to wireless. I just set my phone down near where I am working out.
  • STEVE142142
    STEVE142142 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    I have an iPod with Bluetooth earbuds. Normally I keep the iPod in my gym shorts unless I'm doing some kind of funky weird legwork.

I also do P90X I have the DVDs and I recorded them to my smartphone. I carry the smartphone and it's just a matter of putting it in a location where it's safe so no one steps on it or a weight doesn't get dropped on it.
  • runlikeagirl1985
    runlikeagirl1985 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    It seems like bluetooth headphones and placing my phone out of the way is going to be my best option for lifting days. Does anyone have any recommendations about what brand/style etc. is better?
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    It seems like bluetooth headphones and placing my phone out of the way is going to be my best option for lifting days. Does anyone have any recommendations about what brand/style etc. is better?

I use SkullCandy Uproar wireless. Relatively inexpensive, covers my ears well, and loud enough that I can't hear a damn thing (not even my own sounds) other than whatever obnoxious metalcore I am blaring into my brain while lifting.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    MP3 player in shorts pocket, earbud wires running up under shirt. No issues, as long as I remember to pull a little extra slack up out of the wire through the collar before squatting or deadlifting. Otherwise, my belt holds the wire too tightly and the earbuds pop out.
  • PandoraGreen721
    PandoraGreen721 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    I use the Bluetooth yurbuds...but have been eyeing those rose gold beats