Chewing gum, eating candy every evening

Options
I have gotten into the habit of chewing a lot of gum and eating peppermint candy every single night while I'm relaxing before bed. It has gotten so ingrained that even though I tell myself I'm not going to do it, I always give in. Does anyone have any experience with breaking a habit like this? I don't know if I should just try not to chew any gum at all, or limit myself to a few pieces. I really want to break this habit. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Replies

• msr8898
    msr8898 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I found myself in the same habit of chewing gum late into the evenings late last year. For me, cold turkey was the only way to go. No gum, at all. I just stopped buying the stuff altogether, and replaced the habit with drinking herbal teas in the evening.
  • fraklein
    fraklein Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I chew only xylitol gum, because my dentist says it's the only one that's good for your teeth. Too much of it causes gas and diarrhea, so it's self-limiting. Same for mints. I only get ones made with xylitol. Whole Foods and natural food stores carry them, or you can order them online.
  • Strawblackcat
    Strawblackcat Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    I chew gym pretty compulsively all day long. I don't even use the good natural stuff - Wrigley 5 A Spirmint is what I usually chew. I justify it by reasoning that chewing gum at 5 calories a piece is better than stuffing my face with snacks all day long.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Is there something wrong with chewing gum every night?
  • Nelly15xx
    Nelly15xx Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Not sure if it's a bad thing but just try mouthwash or brushing your teeth no one wants to eat straight after that and try mint teas or any other herbal tea it aids your weight loss journey x
  • Jubee13
    Jubee13 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Is there something wrong with chewing gum every night?

It's become excessive. I'll chew at least a whole pack every night, and the calories in the candy really add up. I know it's just a habit, and I'd like to either be more moderate or stop it altogether.