exercising early in the morning

Options
Does exercising early in morning can cause a loss of muscle instead of fat loss? I doesn't already do a breakfast. I'm getting rid of what im doing because I always exercise early in the morning it is the only available time to exercise to help on my weight loss. If its do loss of muscle mass what can I do to avoid the bad affects of exercising in the morning earlier? Thanks in advance

Replies

• MaddMaestro
    MaddMaestro Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    I'm not aware of such a phenomenon. How does exercising lose muscle? I believe not eating enough could lose muscle.. I wonder what others will say on this topic.
  • ferd_ttp5
    ferd_ttp5 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I'm not aware of such a phenomenon. How does exercising lose muscle? I believe not eating enough could lose muscle.. I wonder what others will say on this topic.
    What i mean is because some stories in internet said that exercising early in the morning can cause muscle loss because we got low energy store in our body and it consume muscle as a energy instead of anything, they said is best to do anything after a hour of breakfast thats what i mean

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    No, exercising in the morning doesn't cause muscle loss.
  • RosieS_1980
    RosieS_1980 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I read an article saying something similar. I do my weight training in a morning and my little baby abs are coming alone just fine :smiley:

Have a snack half an hour before you work out, if it will make you feel better, doesn't have to be a giant breakfast!
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    your body does not care when you exercise. cardio results in fat loss. weights result in building muscle. science is science.

dont believe every thing you read on the interwebz .....
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    I suppose that exercise without eating enough protein would result in muscle loss, but this has nothing to do with how early it is. Even consuming protein several hours after your workout should prevent this, though the closer to your workout the better.
  • cessi0909
    cessi0909 Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    your body does not care when you exercise. cardio results in fat loss. weights result in building muscle. science is science.

I don't believe this is true. The only thing that causes fat loss is a calorie deficit.
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,217 Member
    Options
    On the contrary, there are also studies/theories that suggest training in a fasted state (~8+ hours since previous meal, easily attained first thing in the morning, before breakfast) is more beneficial to fat loss, has limited impact on muscle loss/gain. Ultimately, there's a lot of very different opinions and information out there; I suggest just doing what's best for you. I used to workout at midnight in college, have worked out in late afternoon after work, and currently workout first thing in the morning, all based on what fit my schedule the best to do so consistently, which I find to have a much higher impact on results than the time of day.
  • cbelc2
    cbelc2 Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    If I don't get my early morning walk, I don't reach my daily step goal and I feel out of sync. A lot of what you read on the WEB is pseudoscience.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options

you cant out exercise a bad diet. so cardio can help with fat loss but then again lifting weights in a deficit will also result in fat loss. muscle gain is mostly done in a surplus(can be done in maintenance too though,but its much much slower). but with a surplus comes fat gains as well. weight/fat loss happens in a deficit of calories, exercise or not.
  • Running_and_Coffee
    Running_and_Coffee Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Nope, and the bodies at my gym pre-dawn certainly seem to suggest the opposite!! ;-)
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    Exercise to be fit and to tone up. Calorie deficit to lose weight. Combine the two for faster results. You will get as many opinions on questions as there are users on MFP but that doesn't mean they are all right or all wrong. Exercise is exercise I doubt that changing the time of it will have a huge effect one way or the other.