barre fitness ?

Options
Hello I am just wondering if anyone has done barre workouts. I am obese and wondering in the long run what kind of results I can look forward to. Also how many days a week would you recommend. Thanks for any input.

Replies

• douthenico
    douthenico Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I do them :)

I have been doing them about 8 weeks now. I am stronger and it has definitely contributed to my 10kg loss (Still about 30 to go though). I do 3 times a week at the moment.
  • cessi0909
    cessi0909 Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    I used to take them and really enjoyed the class but the place I was going was just too expensive in my opinion. I think it is a great class and an enjoyable workout but you will only get out of it what you put in. And, as I found years ago when I was taking them, if you are still overeating you won't see weight loss.
  • sarahkw04
    sarahkw04 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I teach barre/own a studio, and I LOVE it - obvious bias here. I started taking barre 3 years ago when I was about 30lbs heavier. It definitely helped me with slimming down/toning up, especially when done in conjunction with cardio.

Now, I take 3-4 barre classes a week and work with a powerlifting coach 4x a week and it's the perfect combo for me - barre is great at creating a strong core and working glutes, areas a lot of people tend to overlook. What I love is that barre is a low impact workout, and totally scalable, making it great for all fitness levels.

Happy to answer any questions you have!
  • Anabirgite
    Anabirgite Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I have been attending a barre class for the past several weeks and I have noticed I expend more calories in the barre class then my spin class. Maybe it is because I am new to barre but my scalp is even sweating and I am just doing what appears to be small movements of lifting my leg. I added the class to my routine to improve flexibility and core. Very much enjoy but it certainly challenges me.