Ladies, let's do TOM better!

Options
coolbluecris
coolbluecris Posts: 228 Member
edited March 2017 in Motivation and Support
Oh how I wish for the nice stable hormones my husband has.

2 days prior to Time of Month I have:

- extreme low energy, lethargy, sleepiness
- strong cravings
- depression and very low self worth
- bloating even if I stay off sugar and carbs, I am round like a balloon

Even after I've been off all sugar and carbs for a month I cave badly at this time.

I want your help, and I want us to help eachother emotionally, to get through TOM or menopausal symptoms and still maintain our goals. To get through it without sabotage. White knuckle the emotional down and cravings and make it through to the other side triumphant that we stayed in control.

I have just failed miserably and it sucks. If you're about to experience your TOM, some reminders:

- junk and sugar slide down like velvet but sit in the stomach like an accusing lump of lard
- it gives you a short thrill followed by self loathing
- it throws out the calorie deficit you carefully created and negates much of it
- If you see this stuff at the store, walk on by. It's callin' your name, telling you that you deserve it, it wants to be your lover, then afterwards dumps you and calls you a w__r_!

Let's have the TOM challenge and pass through it on healthy food and good habits. Is it possible?

Replies

• metalmeow1
    metalmeow1 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    You didn't fail. You stumbled.

6 months from now today won't matter in terms of your goals.
  • gamerbabe14
    gamerbabe14 Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    It's going to happen every month so just develop good habits. I guess I am fortunate that my cravings aren't that high, I just cry at puppy videos.
  • coolbluecris
    Options
    For me I'm on anti Candida meds. Sugar feeds it and I'm trying to kill it. I MUST do better. I simply have to.
  • rachelr1116
    rachelr1116 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I have endometriosis and a lot of times I'm in so much pain and so tired that I literally can't do anything. I've had to accept that sometimes it really is just out of my control and I shouldn't force myself to workout when I really don't feel like I can.

If I have cravings I just try to fit something into my calorie goal. I usually bump my calories up some around TOM too. And if I'm tired, I rest. In the grand scheme of things it's only a few days.
  • ladyannique2017
    ladyannique2017 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I don't really get PMS. I do get really bad cramps but I just pop some pills and crack on. I think TOM is the worst because I'm in a white gi at the dojo and I have moments where I don't know if I'm especially sweaty or if I've sprung a leak.
  • metalmeow1
    metalmeow1 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I have just failed miserably and it sucks. Not if you enjoyed it. If you're about to experience your TOM, some reminders:

- junk and sugar slide down like velvet but sit in the stomach like an accusing lump of lard Not true. It only feels that way because you're down on yourself *hugs* drink some water and when you feel better go for an hour walk to rebuild your self-esteem if you have something to prove to yourself.
    - it gives you a short thrill followed by self loathing Not me. Not anymore. I have a tub of full fat double chocolate Dreyer's ice cream in the freezer and I still lost 2lbs this week. Calories In vs. Calories OUT.
    - it throws out the calorie deficit you carefully created and negates much of it It doesn't negate all of it, and it doesn't have to negate any of it. Do some cardio.
    - If you see this stuff at the store, walk on by. It's callin' your name, telling you that you deserve it, it wants to be your lover, then afterwards dumps you and calls you a w__r_! If I want it, I buy it. I pre-log treats so I don't exceed my daily calories. For unexpected occasions, I adjust the excess over the next week so I never feel nor notice it.

Let's have the TOM challenge and pass through it on healthy food and good habits. Is it possible? I don't find this healthy.

I used to have this mindset. Everyone needs a certain amount of happiness to make life worth living. Eat your donuts and cookies. Portion control until your appetite reduces to a more healthy quantity. Count them calories! Stay hydrated. Stay strong. Love that you're taking action and you care enough about yourself to be healthier... And also love yourself enough to treat the spirit out occasionally. I just lost 7lbs eating "junk" including lots of Chinese food (and I mean LOTS) just average out the calories.

You'll get the hang of it hun :)
  • coolbluecris
    Options
    Hey guys, I really feel like crap right now so thanks for replying.

@metalmeow1 thank you for the sanity check and attitude re-alignment.

Hugs to all <3
  • pinklion721
    pinklion721 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I am in the same boat today. This is my first TOM in 8 months (I've been breastfeeding) and it's not pretty. I wasn't expecting it since last time I went 14 months. Saturday's workout wasn't great and I didn't workout the past two days. I also haven't been eating the best.
    Today is a new day and I'm hoping to get back on track.
  • coolbluecris
    Options
    You will eventually feel better. Be kind to yourself if you feel miserable. Eat well and give exercise a rest. Hugs to you!! Here for you if you need to chat :)
  • jitteryladybug
    jitteryladybug Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I generally notice I am WAY hungrier around my TOM. It's helpful for me to eat closer to maintenance calories in my week of PMS/TOM (I have a short one) and then buckle back down when I'm not as bad. Usually my losses plateau around that time too, even if I'm eating at a deficit. I hold onto water TERRIBLY and then shed it right after my period ends. sometimes I'll even weigh a pound or two more than I should during my TOM and then lose 4 or so after! You're not alone. Just be persistent. Remember: Lifestyle changes can take a long time to stick. Just keep at it (this includes thinking better about yourself).
  • coolbluecris
    Options
    Great post thank you :)
  • Treehugger_88
    Treehugger_88 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Thanks, this thread is just what I needed right now. I am so bloated/hungry at the same time and craving chocolate like crazy. I will resist. Last night I cried four times while watching Top Chef.
  • coolbluecris
    Options
    Oh @Treehugger_88

Hugs to you <3 and please do something beautiful for yourself. What do you love to do that you don't do very often? Find it and enjoy it guilt free, it could be a good book, download a favourite song, aromatic bath, coffee with a friend, an unfinished item.

Post again soon :)
  • Yvonnegogi
    Yvonnegogi Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Needed to hear this too. I am so fatigued and my appetite is crazy right now. 2 days of at least 2,000 calories. I hope I didn't gain 5 pounds. Better day tomorrow. Blessings
  • coolbluecris
    Options
    Hi @yvonnegogi
    It's surprising we haven't had a support group for this before. The depression, fatigue and cravings, as well as body feeling, can be quite awful. So take care of yourself show yourself some kindness. Hugs x
  • Panda8Angel8Faith
    Panda8Angel8Faith Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Well my Tom drives me crazy. I get super tired and irritated. Any advice on how to make it through. It's the first 2 or 3 days that get me.
  • coolbluecris
    Options
    Well my Tom drives me crazy. I get super tired and irritated. Any advice on how to make it through. It's the first 2 or 3 days that get me.

Hi Panda
    The best advice is already in this thread. Enjoy the read and take care.