Wrist pain /while performing certain exercises/

Options
Hi guys,

Lately I've noticed that my right wrist hurts when I'm doing certain exercises that require some bending, for example push-ups, triceps dips, yoga bridges. I don't feel any pain or discomfort whatsoever the rest of the time, therefore I don't think it's an injury. I think it's rather the result of my job (a computer job).

I got a wristband to use during my workouts, I tried TigerBalm but frankly I don't feel a difference. Has anyone else experienced this? Do you have any tips or advises?

Many thanks :)

Replies

• crackpotbaby
    crackpotbaby Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    Weightlifting wrist wraps work a treat.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Strengthen your knuckles and do them on a closed fist, or use a grip bar.

Those exercises hyperextend the wrist under load, for some people the load or hyperextension is too much.
  • LeoT0917
    LeoT0917 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Could be the beginning of carpal tunnel syndrome. I like the advice given by the others, but I would still check in with your doc.
  • MFP_Irina
    MFP_Irina Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thank you very much, I will look into these! :)
  • andrewq6100
    andrewq6100 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Yeah I have carpal tunnel in my right hand and its depressing cause I can't lift as heavy as I want for some moves like bench,cleans etc. I've heard versa wraps are good but sometimes I just take glucosamine throughout the week and it diminishes the pain and I can train without wraps / gloves just not go to heavy lol. Close handed diamond push ups are a no go though my wrist sucks.
  • Kimo159
    Kimo159 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    Did you just start doing these things? Because if I haven't been doing things that put stress on my wrist (i.e. planks, pushups, downward dog, even bicep curls) I notice that my wrists are sore. After about a week I have no more pain. But if the pain is persisting I would talk to your Dr. Also, if you have a desk job you should look at getting an ergonomic keyboard if you don't already have one, and also assess the height of your keyboard, get a keyboard tray if you can that will allow you to adjust height.
  • MFP_Irina
    MFP_Irina Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thank you! Yes, I noticed it recently, although I have been doing these exercises for longer.
    I think it might be because of the mouse, it's only in the right wrist - I was also thinking about a mouse pad.
    I hope it's not serious, perhaps I can limit these movements for 1-2 weeks, and see how it feels.
    Thanks again for all the responses!
  • not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    Options
    Do you see a chiropractor? I have had pain in one wrist when putting pressure on it, which goes away after having my chiro adjust the area.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Hold a hex dumbbell in each hand & set the dumbbell on the ground, so you can keep your wrists straight. This has been a tremendous help to me. It sounds harder, but is actually easier.