Picky eaters!!! Cauliflower hash browns!

Options
Lizzypb88
Lizzypb88 Posts: 367 Member
I am such a picky eater, and honestly don't like vegetables that much, or at all, so I've been looking into ways to sneak around and get them in my daily diet!! These hash browns taste just like regular hash browns, but with zero grease! I'm so so picky and limited and this really helps me so I wanted to share!!

3 cups of cauliflower rice (or grated)
1 egg
3/4 cup shredded cheese
1tbsp yellow onion
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp salt, 1/4 tsp pepper

Mix it and fry it on a pan, it's delicious!! This makes 6 servings, For me it comes out to 210 calories for 2 servings, low calorie and low carb, if you want more info search for the recipe on Pinterest, there's a few and I kind of took pieces of 2 of the recipes to make it more my own :-) did I mention it's SO GOOD?!

Replies

• TheRambler
    TheRambler Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    I cooked something similar on Tuesday. I did cauliflower rice and shreaded some SWEET POTATO to go with it. I used coconut oil on the bottom of the pan. Everything else identical, and loved it. Key note is to press on the hash when it hits the pan if you want a patty!!
  • Lizzypb88
    Options
    TheRambler wrote: »
    I cooked something similar on Tuesday. I did cauliflower rice and shreaded some SWEET POTATO to go with it. I used coconut oil on the bottom of the pan. Everything else identical, and loved it. Key note is to press on the hash when it hits the pan if you want a patty!!

Thanks for the advice! My first try it ended up all over and no where near like a party lol!
  • Lizzypb88
    Options
    *patty!
  • TheRambler
    Options
    haha.. well, it probably was a party in your mouth!! delicious recipe. I didn't add cheese, and my do that next time. I ALSO vitamixed apple sauce to go on the patty (party).. amazing.

leftover hash was for egg breakfast
  • PizzaWarrior
    PizzaWarrior Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Thank you for this!!! Going to try them out on my boyfriend.... hopefully he won't notice the difference
  • TheRambler
    Options
    good luck. if you don't have coconut oil, use olive oil. transfer from pan to a plate with paper towels on it.
  • PizzaWarrior
    Options
    Thanks for the tip! :)
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    Thank you for this!!! Going to try them out on my boyfriend.... hopefully he won't notice the difference

He's going to notice. :laugh: Poor boyfriend.
  • PizzaWarrior
    edited March 2017
    Options

Maybe if I put enough cheese, he won't! Guy refuses to eat his veggies, gotta sneak 'em in where I can :laugh:
  • Lizzypb88
    Options

He won't notice!
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    You could try half and half cauliflower and potato if you want it to be less obvious. But you'd have more luck hiding celeriac in a potato patty - it would be an observant person who noticed that (far more similar texture)
  • Whit_88
    Whit_88 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Gonna have to give these a go. Thanks for sharing!
  • Whit_88
    Whit_88 Posts: 36 Member
    Options

Maybe if I put enough cheese, he won't! Guy refuses to eat his veggies, gotta sneak 'em in where I can :laugh:

The feeels. Sounds exactly like my husband and kids. Lol good luck doll!
  • blackcomaro
    blackcomaro Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the recipe... im gonna try these
  • lanalee999
    lanalee999 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Totally gonna try this. Thanks for posting! I recently made cauliflower fried rice which was also amazing!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options

He'll notice...cauliflower does not taste like, nor does it have the same texture as potatoes.
  • TerriK14
    TerriK14 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I do all of the cauliflower tricks including making cauliflower tortillas, they are so yummy!
  • Tennisskater
    Tennisskater Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I tried this and modified it a little and used the oven
    I used
    2 cups riced cauliflower (1/2 bag of traders Joe's riced cauliflower)
    1 eggwhite
    1 ounce sharp white cheddar cheese
    Johnnys garlic seasoning to taste

Line cookie sheet with parchment and spray with olive oil

Spread mixture on parchment and bake at 450 for about 10 minutes or so until bottom and top are crunchy
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    That stuff is delicious but no, it doesn't taste like potatoes. It tastes like cauliflower. There's no need to mislead people, honestly... it's good in its own way, but it won't be satisfying if someone actually wants hash browns.
  • Wd011000
    Wd011000 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

He'll notice...cauliflower does not taste like, nor does it have the same texture as potatoes.

Yep. I am a super picky, super-taster. I always notice. I just shake my head at all the "how to get your picky child to eat vegetables" articles (it won't work). He will notice that either it doesn't look right, taste right, or feel right. Texture is usually the thing that blows the disguise. Feed him a good multi-vitamin instead. ;)