Surgery ( Hysterectomy ) and weight Questions

Options
Lorilynn_37
Lorilynn_37 Posts: 87 Member
edited February 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
So next Tues I'm having a hysterectomy ☹️
It's laparoscopic so that's positive.
But I have so many questions and thoughts!!
I'm having a full hysterectomy also taking ovaries. Sorry men if your reading!
So I will take advise and experiences.
1. What the heck will keep me full the day before surgery because I'm on a liquid only diet the day before
2. Will I lose weight through the beginning process, with the liquids for 2-3 days?
3. Has anyone gained weight through the process, from loss of hormones?
4. Is it possible to keep weight off that you lose or will it come back
5. Is surgical menapause a thing? I've been told I will be on a high dose of hormone replacements
6. What does the future look like with weight and the lose of hormones

I know I need to focuse on recovering but anyone who has lost successful weight has to worry about it coming back. I've lost 25 pds with this app. So I like knowing what is to come with all of this. It's a scary thing to not know the things that are coming.

What lifestyle changes should I make as well I want to thank you all in advance!

Replies

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    I had a partial hysterectomy last year.

1. Nothing. Be prepared to be hungry. But you won't be starving, just hungry.
    2. Not much. I was only on liquids for one day, but I didn't lose any weight when all was said and done. You will be swollen after surgery so any fat loss will likely not be noticeable.
    3. I kept my ovaries so can't help here.
    4. My doctor told me not to diet while healing. Your body needs the calories for healing and dieting will slow healing. I followed the instruction and I did not see any weight gain or loss once the swelling was gone.
    5. Once you lose your ovaries your body will go through changes similar to menopause due to the loss of estrogen. Depending on your age you may need HRT. I didn't take any since I kept my ovaries and was already menopausal before the surgery, but based on experiences of others I've known it may take a while to get your hormones properly regulated. This can affect weight, but if you are on par with your diet it will not cause fat gain.
    6. My hormones are dropping normally since I kept my ovaries. CICO is still the rule, but it's quite possible you'll have weight gains and losses due to water while they get your hormones regulated.

I would say discuss all of this with your doctor. Don't be shy about asking questions! Make him/her aware of your weight loss and plans for further weight loss. My menopause was natural but I can't stress regular cardio regularly. It really helps with mood swings, at least it did for me.

Hope that helps. Best of luck to you!
  • megd44
    megd44 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    First of all, congrats on your 25 pound weight loss!! Have not had surgery in over ten years, and it was vastly different. But I can speak to the menopause and hormonal issues. I hit menopause in 2009, at 42. I was super young and fortunately did not have to have a hysterectomy. But because of a family history of cancer (ovarian) did not take HRT. I joined MFP years ago and lost about 5 pounds. then "life got in the way" and I stopped tracking. Amazingly enough, despite being menopausal, I did not gain a pound. Literally weighed the same three years in a row at the annual check up.

Now I am back. I would love to lose eight pounds, but my focus is really on building up my strength and ensuring my bones remain strong. Something as women we need to worry about as we age and lose hormones. Because I am starting back at square one in terms of exercise, I am focusing on two days of body weight training per week, two days of pilate type stretching and two days of carido. Tried to jump back in StongLifts - ouch!! In my experience, this is what your future looks like:
    • Forget the horror stories that you will gain weight at menopause and never be able to lose it (this did not happen to any of the females in my family.) Know your TDEE and eat to that, in a nutritionally positive way if you can.
    • This will become your new normal, so make sure what you are doing now/changes you make can become a lifestyle change for you, not a diet (for example, I drink, within my calorie limits)
    • Your body may "shift" and you may be squishier in places you have not before. Me - back fat at the bra line. Yuck. but again, hoping cardio and strength will help alleviate that.
    • Keep moving, once you have your doctor's ok, as much as you can. The women I have seen struggle the most during menopause are those that are the most sedentary.
    • You have lost 25 pounds, which means that there must be some great things you have done to achieve this. Stick to those, with any new TDEE, and you will be good.
    • Again, just my personal experience, but menopause has not been nearly as scary as I always led to believe.

Good luck and make sure you let us know how you are doing.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    sarahbums wrote: »

1. I made sure to fill up on plenty of protein before fasting. For liquids, protein shakes and Ensure are lifesavers. Fiber's gonna be important too- After surgery they're gonna want you pooping ASAP lol

You likely will not be allowed Ensure or protein shakes or fiber on the liquid only diet prior to surgery. You will also probably have to do a colon cleanse similar to what you do before a colonoscopy. The liquid diet I was given was clear liquids, Jell-O, broth, that sort of thing (you should be given a list). Then in the evening a lot of Miralax and Dulcolax because they want your gut as clear as possible before surgery. It's not pleasant.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,950 Member
    Options
    @Lorilynn_37 did you get a second opinion about the need for the hysterectomy and especially having your ovaries removed?

I recommend reading the "An Empowered Approach to Surgery" section in Dr. Christiane Northrup's "The Wisdom of Menopause."
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Options
    Best of luck to you! I have a laparoscopic partial with node check in April, I had a DNC and Cold Cone biopsy last month and the prep for both is the same for me.
    As far as liquid diets go bone/stock broths (punch them up with herbs), jello, ask them if shakes are acceptable for pre-surgery the non-protein and protein ones). I'm intrigued though, as I am allowed to eat up until 10pm then liquids till midnight, enough water for drugs that morning.

As far as after surgery, take it easy, if you're hungry then eat. Remember your body is trying to heal and adjust, don't short change it. I took a break from eating at deficit for awhile and tried to eat at maintenance or close to, now I'm back to a small deficit (and being careful since I still can't exercise).
    My dr also recommended miralax and dulcolax after surgery to start and something else (can't recall) if I was still having...ahem...blockage issues. I had some after the DNC/cold cone, and they told me to really expect it this time.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,368 Member
    Options
    Second the advice to eat at/near maintenance for a while after surgery. I didn't, ignorantly, after laparoscopic gallbladder surgery . . . and later regretted that.

I still have uterus/ovaries but went into "hit the wall" style menopause at age 45 due to chemotherapy coupled with anti-estrogen drugs. While the experience was sub-recreational, it didn't seem to have any effect on my weight (not the weight was my primary concern at the time!)
  • Lorilynn_37
    Lorilynn_37 Posts: 87 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    The night before he wants me to do a enema!

I've had endometriosis for 14 years and we've already cauterized it twice. It's just getting worse and painful that's one reason!
    The second is to prevent the ovarian and cervical cancer you can develop.
    My grandma has breast cancer my dad has stage 4 colon cancer that spread to his lungs.

I had to have one ovary removed because it was double in size before.
    So we're just doing it all at once
  • englishmuffinruns
    englishmuffinruns Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    The enema was the worst part! My surgery was on first thing on a Monday morning, so my liquid diet started on Saturday. My nurse told me as long as I didn't have to chew it, it was a liquid. For lunch that day I had a venti niocha chip frappacino at Starbucks! Jello, jello, and more jello for supper and breakfast the next day.

the enema and laxatives that I was prescribed moved everything out. I mean EVERYTHING. Your GI tract will be sparkly clean!

Good luck!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,368 Member
    Options
    The night before he wants me to do a enema!

I've had endometriosis for 14 years and we've already cauterized it twice. It's just getting worse and painful that's one reason!
    The second is to prevent the ovarian and cervical cancer you can develop.
    My grandma has breast cancer my dad has stage 4 colon cancer that spread to his lungs.

I had to have one ovary removed because it was double in size before.
    So we're just doing it all at once

I debated with myself about whether to post, but decided to - hope I don't offend, and don't want to be scary.

I'm hoping/assuming your doctor knows that full medical history about your grandma & dad? Both those cancers seem to have related genetic roots, and may potentially have implications for hormone replacement therapy strategies.

(Your doctor is your expert, not some random idiot like me on the internet, but I'm a little more familiar with this subject than some, as a breast cancer survivor who's gotten some extra education as a volunteer peer-support-person for other survivors.)
  • puddle17
    puddle17 Posts: 16 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Thank you all for sharing this information. I'm having a hysterectomy in June but they are leaving one ovary. Its been really helpful to read everyone stories.
    Oh and for those also with endometriosis there is a site called
    https://www.myendometriosisteam.com
    its like a mini facebook but for women with endo- we share stories- talk about meds etc. It has been very helpful since I was diagnosed.
  • healthylisa38
    healthylisa38 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I had a hysterectomy 2 years ago and they took everything but my ovaries and it was the best move I did as I was in consist pain and I've now been pain free please feel free to add me
  • oceandaisies
    oceandaisies Posts: 47 Member
    Options

I had both ovaries removed in 2013. Uterus left intact. I was 37 years old when I had my surgery. I have the BRCA2 gene mutation for breast cancer, which also includes a much higher risk of ovarian, stomach, gi, and skin cancers. The removal of my ovaries reduced my risks of breast cancer by approximately 50%(which is very high due to the gene from my father's side and a hereditary cancer risk on my mother's side). It also reduced my increased risk of ovarian cancer which is more concerning as there is less reliable screening available for ovarian cancer. I am on low dose HRT as recommended by my NP and physician at the high risk screening clinic. And will remain on it until I reach the age of "natural menopause".

1. Liquid diet - I would also check to confirm what liquids are allowed. Often it is clear fluids only after a certain point. Especially if doing a colon cleanse.
    2. Why liquid diet for 2-3 days? Usually you transition back to regular diet right away? I agree with the other posters about eating at maintenance until healed. And discuss with your surgeon as to when they think that will be.
    3. I was overweight when I had my surgery. I gained weight from 2013-2016. Not because of the surgery or hormones but because I ate too much (and I love good food) and moved less due to a back injury.
    4. I have lost 64 lbs since June 1, 2016. I am on HRT still. I started logging my food on here and following the recommended calorie intake. You just need to eat at a calorie deficit to lose weight still.
    5. Yes surgical menopause is a thing. I went onto HRT immediately following surgery. I am on estrogen and progesterone. The progesterone is because I still have my uterus and it protects it from the estrogen effects. My recommendation is to request estrogel ( this is what I am on now) or estradiol pills for your estrogen replacement as it is a bio-identical estrogen and I found I had less hot flashes etc than with others. It took about 6 months for me to figure out an appropriate dose to prevent the hot flashes but not cause achy breasts etc. The oral form really caused nausea for me and that is why I went on the gel you apply to skin. I use a super low dose, 1 pump per day. I also use it at bedtime as I had most hot flashes at night.
    6. I haven't had any problems with my weight loss without my ovaries and with HRT. You may find it easier as you will be in less pain from endometriosis and no periods/time of the month anymore!
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Last year I had laparoscopic surgery to repair a hiatal hernia and remove my gallbladder so I can only address the first 2 questions:

1) One thing that helped me feel full when I was on the liquid only part of pre and post surgery was finger jello. I am diabetic so I couldn't eat the regular stuff so I made mine flavored with Crystal light drink packets (can't stand the flavor of sugar-free jello) I used 2 Tbl of unflavored gelatin (2 packets if you buy the Knox stuff) and 3 cups of water. Soften the gelatin in 1/4 c cold water, add 1-1/4 c boiling water. Mix until dissolved, then add 1-1/2 c cold water. Chill, cut into cubes, and eat. Broth and Italian Ices helped too.

2) Yes, you can expect some water weight loss when you are on the liquid diet, but most of it is temporary. Post-surgery, it is important to get as much nutrition and fluids in you as possible so stay off the scale and eat to heal, following post-op doctor's orders of course.

My SIL had both ovaries removed when she had her hysterectomy and thought she would "tough it out" without hormones. It was not pretty. She went on hormones and, because of her age (52 at the time), they gradually reduced the dosage over the course of 2 years to simulate natural menopause. YMMV