Exercise bike or real bike: opinions wanted!

Options
dointime
dointime Posts: 103 Member
I would like to add in a new exercise--biking! I haven't been on a bike in many years, so I'm a little scared. I am debating between an exercise bike or a real outdoor bike for right now, but I'm not sure what would be better to start off with. I do not have a ton of money to spend (somewhere around $100). I'm thinking of an exercise bike since I have so little to spend, plus I am still very heavy and having a hard time finding bikes with acceptable weight limits in the price range I'm in. Plus, I have limited time to bike outside since my husband works and I would be at home with our two young children. I thought a cheap outdoor bike might be good to see if I am really into biking. If I do like biking, I would eventually upgrade to a better bike, but I don't want anything really expensive in case I hate it. Also, I don't know if I would chicken out about riding in front of people. But it would be nice to have a way to get around/exercise that is quicker than walking. Any thoughts/suggestions?

Replies

• aneumany
    aneumany Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    i love biking, i think its a great exercise, does the legs and core wonders! i used to bike outside everyday! and it was awesome. howeer i dont have my bike here, so now ive been using the one at the gym, after time off from it, and my core had been on fire since monday! lol love the burn, (i also did 10 miles) u can start off with less ! lol
  • divadoll41
    divadoll41 Posts: 188
    Options
    Just get an exercise bike for the house.
  • HoopFire5602
    HoopFire5602 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Where are you at? You can buy decent used bikes in most cities; especially ones that are big into alternative transporation. My husband and I bought two bikes for a recent Burning Man type festival and they were only 60 total. His tire had some problems but it was easily fixed. I prefer to ride bikes outside, if its not to hot.
  • GW9stone
    GW9stone Posts: 10
    Options
    get both
  • sblair77
    sblair77 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I go further and work harder without noticing as much on my actual bike but I do have a stationery bike as well. I can tell you that 100% of the time I get on my stationery bike I don't do as much and I feel like I've done 10 times more.
  • sblair77
    sblair77 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I go further and work harder without noticing as much on my actual bike but I do have a stationery bike as well. I can tell you that 100% of the time I get on my stationery bike I don't do as much and I feel like I've done 10 times more.
  • RichardWhitman
    RichardWhitman Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    You've asked a lot there, and somewhat contradictory.

If you only have $100, you really don't have enough for a decent bike of any kind.
    Not sure why SPEED of getting around is important (per your last line), especially if you are considering a stationery bike.

Why not just go for a walk. Start there. It's way more cost effective and you can see if you like exercising at all.

Good luck
  • robinmachorro
    Options
    i think you should get the out door bike it would be a better work out and more fun :)
  • jenny_91
    jenny_91 Posts: 23
    Options
    Exercise bike! :) You can use it whilst watching t.v . . . I tried to go out on my normal bike with my brother, only got halfway round the block and I was out of breath haha ^^
  • mike_hill
    mike_hill Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Not sure what you are comfortable with as far as bikes go, but a lot of times you can find a decent used bike at Goodwill stores. Over the years we have found more than a couple really nice used bikes at great prices. They may also have an exercise bike, but likely the quality won't be very good.

Just a thought. Hope you find what works best for you!
  • atomdraco
    atomdraco Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    I personally enjoy riding outdoor. Cannot stay on those stationary bike long at all unless I'm in a spinning class. There is nothing compare to riding outside, breathing in fresh air (as long as it's not super hot), and I do use it to ride to stores when I have the time.

It's very a personal choice. Figure out whether you like to stay indoor for workout, or just get out whenever you can - real bike. Figure out if you can get outdoor much since you have to watch your kids - stationary bike. Don't worry about others if you ride outside, no one care about who's on the bike, really. Money wise, I'm sure you can find decent price on both. Check out craiglist, garage sale, etc.
  • amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    Real bike! Sweating my brains out pedaling to no where is not much fun, but riding through a neighborhood or a nice park with the wind on my face, so much better.

Plus there is always something to be said about an exercise where you have no choice but to keep going....if you're on a stationary, you could quit at any time, but when you're out on a bike, even if you're tired, you HAVE to keep going to get home.

Can you buy a little tent/trailer thing to bring the kids with you, or are they old enough to ride also?

And for the winter, you could spend an additional $80 for a bike trainer to turn your outdoor bike into a staionary bike, but you cannot turn a stationary bike into an outdoor one.
  • kdet07
    kdet07 Posts: 117
    Options
    real bike. after only riding for a couple weeks, i was up to 15+ miles 3x a week. being outside and the motivation of pedaling farther than last time is so much more fun. that and you can find great deals on bikes on craigslist! hubby got us a pair of high end cannondale road bikes (retail over $1000 each!) for $200 each. Be patient and you'll find what you're looking for! :)
  • corduroyveins
    corduroyveins Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    As someone who loves biking, I would say that there is no substitute for outdoor riding! When it's unpleasant, I will hit up the exercise bike at the gym and am almost always disappointed. Being indoors and on a flat terrain with a timer in my face certainly sucks the fun out of it and makes it feel like a chore - like another exercise that I'm just trying to get through and be done with. However, I think maybe an exercise bike is a good place to start. I can do 5 miles on an exercise one in much less time and with more ease than on a regular bike. You have to consider how terrain would effect your ride. Some roads that look flat actually end up having slight inclines and can be very challenging. Also, with your budget you may be unable to find a nice road bike that works for you. So perhaps give the stationary one a go and once you've lost more weight and if you find that you enjoy the ride, treat yourself with a road bike :)
  • cabul3
    cabul3 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    you can use a stationary bike anytime, regardless of the weather outside, in the privacy of your own home!

i have a hybrid outdoor bike, good for the road and decent for trails. i like to bike to work or the store. but i'm limited to only biking 5 months per year.
  • sabulla
    sabulla Posts: 58
    Options
    I also like riding bikes whether it's outside or inside. I actually got a brand new outside bike for Mother's Day. That was awesome! However, speaking from experience with children, you would probably benefit from an exercise bike more. So that way you can ride a bike early in the a.m. or late @ p.m. when the kids are sleeping or if it rains/snows, you can ride inside as well. I ride the exercise bike on a daily basis in the building in which I work. It has a physical therapy department. I am so lucky! Good luck on making the right decision!!
  • rebysue
    rebysue Posts: 136
    Options
    I personally prefer the outdoor bike because I like to get a change of scenery. And there is something exhilarating about the wind in my face on a good bike ride! :happy: An indoor bike might get pretty mundane.

The biggest drawbacks I have found to outdoor bikes are that they are hard to ride in the snow (don't know what the climate is like where you live) and they only give you a workout one way. In other words, I ride my bike 2.5 miles away from my house and it is all slightly inclined uphill. I get quite the workout but on the way back home, I my heartrate doesn't go up AT ALL because I there is very little effort involved. BUT, I do really enjoy the nice cool down it gives me for the ride home.

That probably doesn't really help but hopefully it gives you a few points to think about.
  • amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    You've asked a lot there, and somewhat contradictory.

If you only have $100, you really don't have enough for a decent bike of any kind.
    Not sure why SPEED of getting around is important (per your last line), especially if you are considering a stationery bike.

Why not just go for a walk. Start there. It's way more cost effective and you can see if you like exercising at all.

Good luck

Um, Target has plenty of bikes for $100 or less. Mine worked just fine for me for 2 summers of riding 10-20 miles several times a week. I did upgrade to a better bike, but mostly the only thing wrong with the Target one was that it was heavy, but hey, gives you a better work out!

Craigslist and garage sales are also a great place to check when low on funds and just starting out.
  • RDTaylor13
    RDTaylor13 Posts: 160
    Options
    I've tried both. but prefer the real bike. to me sitting indoors, staring at the tv, or wall while I peddle just isn't the same as riding down a street, or trail, watching things go by, plus the fresh air, seems to make it more enjoyable,
  • k8edge
    k8edge Posts: 380
    Options
    REAL BIKE! You can buy a trainer for your real bike for the winter time... Mount it up and ride indoors while it is all snowy outside! You can't take a stationary bike and do that. :)

Yeah you for getting out there and getting on a bike!!! I love to cycle... I have a road bike and a commuter bike (sans cute bike with basket to ride around town). If you are just getting into it... Right now would be a good time to go to the bike store. Lots of bikes are on sale right now because they are releasing the new bikes for 2012 soon. Therefore you can probably find a more expensive bike for less. In reality it is all about what feels comfortable to you... Make sure you test it out at the shop and make sure it fits right. To me the reach is the most important part since if your bike doesn't fit properly you can have back pain, wrist pain,etc... Fit is very important! Also.... GET A HELMET! You may look like a nerd but nerds are smart... So be smart and protect your nugget.

If I could suggest a bike for a beginner I would suggest a fitness bike... Trek has a fitness line along with other bike companies. It has skinny yet nubby tires that you could ride on the road or a dirt path as well. They are also built for comfort. All around a great bike for someone just starting out that may bump up rides in the future.

GOOD LUCK!