Fitbit in maintenance

Options
Hello, I was just wondering how accurate your fitbit has been in calculating daily maintenance calories?

How many calories does it say you burn a day according to the fitbit website? How many do you actually maintain on? Trying to get an idea if they are accurate for judging maintenance calories.

Replies

• dbearest
    dbearest Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Not very. I had to figure out, by slowly adjusting up from my weight-loss calories over time, what my actual maintenance calories should be.

Also, when we set up our calories in MFP, remember that we are already telling MFP how active we are. Whenever I have "added back in" activity calories to that limit, I gain weight.

All activity trackers base the caloric output on average statistics that are based on sex, height, weight, age, etc. Some Fitbit devices with heart rate also use that in the calculation. My Fitbit regularly tells me I burned over 2000 calories per day, but there is not way that I can have that as my intake. You kind of have to find that number for yourself through trial and error. You'll get there - just be patient with yourself.

I read through the comments, and then just started adding back in 100-200 calories more per day for a few days or a week at a time. I weigh myself twice per week, and carefully tracked the effect on my weight. Everyone will be different, so you have to find your value that works for you. You may wish to work with a nutritionist to help you figure out some of it if you have the opportunity. Good luck!
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    If you go over to the Fitbit group - many have it almost nailed as they discovered with their weight loss and their maintenance.

They lead the average life that Fitbit built the device for, with extra walking as motivation.

For those it's usually a good estimate unless you've burned off a decent amount of muscle through yo-yo dieting through the years.

But the farther you are from that average, the worse it will be.

Like some workouts are not best calorie estimates using HR or steps.

If doing 2 x weekly for 30 min each time and otherwise busy active life - no problem.

If otherwise sedentary job and no kids or pets and bump on a log except for 6 x weekly of 60 min each - then a problem with accuracy.

If you do a lot of steps daily - inaccuracy in your stride length adds up.
    If not - no big deal.

So it just depends on your daily routine, what you manually log for better calorie estimate on Fitbit, and how accurate your food logging is. And if you have corrected stats that you can.

You could have a workout off by 200 calories, but badly log 400 calories daily of eating.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    Of the 3 Fitbits I've had - Ultra, Zip, and One - the Zip was WAY off for calorie burn (would tell me I burned 3,000 as TDEE when my Ultra told me 2,400). The Ultra and One were/are on par with my TDEE. I am pretty average for calculations though. I use One now and am fine with it.

I haven't used any of the bracelet Fitbits, but I've read they are likely less accurate because they're worn on the wrist and most enjoy tracking wrist/arm movements as steps.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Over 10 weeks I tracked my FitBit TDEE value and my actual TDEE. It has a variance of +/-3% but the averages over 10 weeks were the same.
  • JustDoIt987
    JustDoIt987 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Used Fitbit to lose weight successfully and now I've been using it for over a year to maintain weight. For me , its spot on and accurate.
  • HappyGrape
    HappyGrape Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Mine is spot on. Like freakishly spot on for me!
  • ercarroll311
    ercarroll311 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I tracked mine for about 6 months when I was losing weight and found it to be about 90% accurate (FitBit Charge HR). I just finished tracking it the last 8 weeks (maintenance) and it was around 92% accurate (Fitbit Charge HR2).

For instance, if it tells me I burned 3,000 for the day, I find it's more like 2760.

I agree with dbearest that adding 100-200 calories until things even out is a good approach. I would keep track of your weight, intake, and the Fitbit reading, though. If you're like me, your activity level varies week to week, so it's nice to be able to look at something and know about where you stand with calories.

• cnbbnc
    cnbbnc Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    It isn't accurate for me in maintenance. According to Fitbit I burn on average 1700 calories per day, but there's no way I can get away with eating that. I bulked on 1750.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    3 months so far and it seems pretty accurate to me (I have the Charge 2).

Keep in mind though that if you're not accurate in tracking your food, it just won't be accurate anyway.
  • annette_15
    annette_15 Posts: 1,657 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I have the charge 2 as well, and it gives my TDEE most days as 15-1800 calories. I gain weight if I eat what it tells me... Id say its about 100 cals off per day or so. And yes, I weigh and log everything and have done this for 5 years now

(I've used my fitbit for 8 months or so)
  • JessicaMcB
    JessicaMcB Posts: 1,503 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    My fitbit low balls hard. When the weather was still fair in the fall I hit goal (130) set it to maintain, was training hard and fell to 123 before I got a handle on it. I don't know if it's my activity level or my low heart rate or what but it was not an accurate measure for me
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,991 Member
    Options
    I have a fitbit one. It says I burn an average of 1850 calories. I usually eat 2000-2100. I am finally maintaining. I lost about 10 pounds more than my goal. I just kept increasing my calories until my weight stabilized.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the input guys. It really helps to see what others experiences were.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I set my activity to sedentary and used a fitbit zip for years. Ate back all my exercise calories. It worked a charm. I now have an Apple watch and do the same thing. Again, it's worked well for me.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options

For me, if I eat under what Fitbit says I burn: I lose weight.

The only thing to do is try something for 6-8 weeks and judge by your results. Such as aim to eat 100-150 under what your Fitbit shows as your burn. If after 8 weeks, you are maintaining: your Fitbit is a little high. If you lose weight, then you can eat a little more.
    Hello, I was just wondering how accurate your fitbit has been in calculating daily maintenance calories?

How many calories does it say you burn a day according to the fitbit website? How many do you actually maintain on? Trying to get an idea if they are accurate for judging maintenance calories.

• StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    This! If you tend to estimate your intake in maintenance then aim lower to make up for error.
    Francl27 wrote: »
    3 months so far and it seems pretty accurate to me (I have the Charge 2).

Keep in mind though that if you're not accurate in tracking your food, it just won't be accurate anyway.