Help. Losing inches and not weight.

Options
I have been working out since the beginning of January and have lost a total of 16 inches (6 inches off my stomach, 4 off my hips/butt, 2 off each thigh, and 1 off each arm.) But I haven't lost any weight. I understand that 1lb of muscle takes up less space than 1lb of fat. However, I am 5'10", 250lbs, 23 years old female. I feel that for how overweight I am that the lbs should be coming off. I workout 5-6 days a week and have been eating better and staying under 1750 calories a day. I do cardio for 30-60 minutes and weight training afterwards. Any help would be great! Thank you!

Replies

• StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    IF you have lost that many inches then you've probably lost weight. Are you weighins on the same scale, same time of day, etc.? If so, is your scale reliable?
  • leooftheyear
    leooftheyear Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    As stated above, most likely not muscle gain. However, I'd check your batteries.

As a side note, you're making amazing progress!!! Look at how far you've come since January and focus on that, the scale is just a number, it shouldn't define you!
  • caitlin112111
    caitlin112111 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I use the scale that is at my gym. So I'm not sure how accurate it is. Any scales that you guys would suggest so I can just go get my own?
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    Forget about the scale, you do not walk around with your weight tattooed on your forehead, do you? Take measurements and try on the same pair of pants once a week - much better progress and less uncertainty if your weight fluctuates.....
  • caitlin112111
    Options
    I go to the gym first thing in the morning on the weekends and at night during the week. Usually 8 or 9.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    I go to the gym first thing in the morning on the weekends and at night during the week. Usually 8 or 9.

Which means you are weighing at different times of day? Depending on what you've had to eat and drink, and when in the day: your body has different weights thru the day. And you have no way to know how the scale is maintained.

Get an at home scale, and use it going forward. Weigh consistently. So the same routine. Like after waking up & going to the bathroom, before eating/drinking.
  • 303lissy
    303lissy Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    I'm with @astrampe - weight is an iffy indication of anything. If you're seeing progress through inches lost, close fitting looser, more energy, etc. - you're definitely on the right path! Ignore the scale and check it again in a few weeks. But you're doing great!
  • caitlin112111
    Options
    Thank you guys for the kind words and help! Is there a certain type of scale that works best? Or any you guys recommend?
  • sirscutties33
    sirscutties33 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi there I am having a problem taking weight off as well. A personal trainer has me on 1300 calorie diet. I am a 40 female 177lbs 5"8. I haven't lost anything. I have a cheat meal on Saturday as I was told to do but considering it would take me 2300 calories to keep me at this weight I have taken 1000 calories off. On top of this at lunch I do 20 mins biking and work out either arms, abs, legs or my behind. What is happening? Not only that I have been exhausted... any clue what is going on ? I eat the same thing everyday. Boring I know but I don't want to do a keto diet so I thought a balanced diet would work better but it isn't at all... sigh
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    The nice thing is we don't carry a scale with us everywhere we go to show people how much we weigh. If you're losing inches you're doing something right. I'd rather be physically smaller and look better than worry about the number on the scale.