Ladies... Help for that time of the month

Options
Today I didn't go to the gym because it is about that time of the month. I have no energy, and I wanted to eat everything in sight. Disgusted with myself today. What helps with cravings? Do you force yourself to workout or allow yourself the break?

Replies

• LessCookiess
    LessCookiess Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    I allow myself the break. If I have cravings I tend to act on it and just enjoy the food I'm eating.
  • katebuggie28
    katebuggie28 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I have been going to the gym 1-2 times a day 5 days a week for about two mths now. I usually look forward to it, but I just can't seem to drag myself out of bed to go. I usually do well with my calories, but i blew it today because of
    Cravings. I have a slew of health issues including anemia, so maybe that is why I am feeling so tired.
  • mgobluetx12
    mgobluetx12 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    I give in to cravings. I always know the night before I'm going to start because I'm ravenous. It usually doesn't show up much on the scale and you need a few more calories during TOM anyway, so do what's natural.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,962 Member
    Options
    I don't workout on my heavy days because I am too debilitated to do so, but I get in as much exercise as possible beforehand - exercise helps me with PMS symptoms and cravings in general.

Increased appetite premenstrually is not the same as cravings - it's a normal reaction to the slight metabolism increase that happens at this time.

When I do the following, I don't have cravings:

1. Get sufficient sleep
    2. Exercise regularly - when I get the happy hormones from exercise, I'm not prone to seeking them from food.
    3. Get sufficient protein in relationship to carbs. I'm not low carb, but reducing carbs and upping protein worked for cravings for me. See also http://www.nutrition.org.uk/healthyliving/fuller/understanding-satiety-feeling-full-after-a-meal.html
    4. Eat moderate amounts of fruit. This makes me less interested in higher calorie sweets.
    5. Take a magnesium supplement. This can be especially helpful for women premenstrually.
    6. Save foods like chocolate for after dinner, in small amounts
    7. Stay hydrated
    8. Have a calorie deficit that is appropriate for the amount of weight I need to lose. An overly aggressive goal can definitely lead to cravings.
    9. Eat at maintenance when my appetite goes up premenstrually.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    If I'm supposed to train, I train. No period is going to stop me from reaching my fitness goals.

And I eat halo top and giant salads.
  • stewartt3260
    stewartt3260 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I totally understand where you coming from... I hate working out when it's my TOM and I'm " new" to committing to this new lifestyle of being active and eating right. So my solution to this was to just skip my period all together.