Cholesterol..

Options
So my doctor told me i have high cholesterol which i figured , but besides exercise..

what foods will help with getting it down?

Replies

• scooter5106
    scooter5106 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Diet is only a minimal portion of cholesterol management as most of it is genetic. Excercise and weight loss definitely helps. A beer or glass of wine once in a while will also help to raise your HDL (good cholesterol).
  • tynapea3
    tynapea3 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Diet is only a minimal portion of cholesterol management as most of it is genetic. Excercise and weight loss definitely helps. A beer or glass of wine once in a while will also help to raise your HDL (good cholesterol).

So would it be best for me to just do more research into it?
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options
    Weight loss (if you are overweight) will probably be the biggest modifiable factor in reducing your cholesterol. Dietary intake of cholesterol isn't as big of a factor as it's made out to be. Genetics play a very large role as well. Since you can't do anything about genetics stick to weight loss and general healthy behaviors (balanced diet, exercise, etc). Even if you do all the modifiable things right you may still have high cholesterol but it will very likely be at least somewhat improved.
  • ccsernica
    ccsernica Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    About the only thing that might help diet-wise is to reduce your consumption of fat, particularly saturated fat. This can complicate weight loss though, since fat helps a lot with feeling sated.
  • bunnyluv19
    bunnyluv19 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Eat more Avocados,Tomatoes,Oats& Almonds _and avoid trans fats or hydrogenated fats.
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    My last cholesterol test came back lower than it normally does (total was at 143), and the only difference I did was I was eating 2-3 servings of oatmeal every day (was going through a phase lol). I'd mix a serving of regular oats with 1-2 pkts of the flavored instant ones, and then mx in nuts or fruit and eat it for supper. It wouldn't hurt to start adding a couple servings of oats a day and see if that helps?