Overcoming Plateaus

Options
I lost about 35 pounds in a year mainly by hitting the gym 3-4 times a week. My diet is ok but not perfect. I mix cardio with weight lifting trying to use a mixed bag of different excercises. I have hit a plateau in the weight loss department, still needing to lose about 20 more pounds. I have even cut back my weight lifting to once a week to try to lose the weight. Any ideas?

Replies

• bgh707
    bgh707 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    My guess is that you probably need to work on your diet.
  • brxtt
    brxtt Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    diet plays a huge role. try adjusting that, upping cardio. but don't cut back on weights.
  • kcotey54
    kcotey54 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Is calorie counting the best method? If so, should it be 7 days a week or do you get a so called cheat day?
  • Maribel_1986
    Maribel_1986 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Maybe not a "cheat day"... I do a "cheat meal". And it's nothing unreasonable. Remember, just because it's the weekend or a holiday doesn't mean you need to go wild for the whole day. Moderation. Hope this helps and wish you luck.
  • smile_laughter
    smile_laughter Posts: 3,682 Member
    Options
    Are you consistently staying on the low end of calorie intake? For example, if you are eating at 1200 calories to lose weight (mine is set at 1800 calories.......I am on the lose slowly plan, not 2 lbs per week), then your body may need a "shock" to it. I find that when I eat low calories for quite awhile, my body starts to plateau. So, I have a 300-500 above my calorie goal day and lose weight. (I know....crazy.....but it works for me)

Some folks on here will disagree with this, but I find that it really works for me and have many MFP friends that are doing the same. We've had more success with this than staying at the same caloric intake every day. I do quite a bit of strength training, so I get really hungry, too. So, I love my high calorie days.
    Good luck!

http://www.livestrong.com/article/488503-zigzag-calorie-diet/
    https://www.muscleandstrength.com/articles/zig-zag-diet-approach.html
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    You don't "get a cheat day". Start by logging your calories and staying in a deficit. Soon you will understand the math and how to fit in a higher calorie day if you like, while maintaining a weekly deficit.

You are eating too much. Don't stop lifting.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Definitely don't cut back on weights. Get a better grip on what you are eating. That's going to include counting calories, even if just short term to figure out where you are so that you can adjust. And yes I would suggest counting daily, I'm not a fan of the cheat day.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Count every single day, even if you decide to "cheat". Soon you'll see places where you can tighten up your logging.
  • JaxxieKat
    JaxxieKat Posts: 427 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Don't underestimate the dire need for accurate food measurements. A two tablespoon serving in packed, mounded scoops can be vastly differently than the grams listed on the nutrition label. Case in point, my vegan protein powder is a two scoop serving, coming in at 43 grams. With that said, two full scoops comes in around a whopping 75 grams. That ups the calories by over 100 per serving above and beyond the calories in the 43 gram serving size. If you don't already have a digital kitchen scale I cannot stress enough how vital it is to your tracking accuracy to invest in one. They are relatively inexpensive and easy to store in your kitchen.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    If you cheat, your progress will be Slower
  • cgvet37
    cgvet37 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »

It depends.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    cgvet37 wrote: »

It depends.

Assuming cheating means eating significantly over you calorie goal, your progress will be slower because you will have a lower deficit.
  • STEVE142142
    STEVE142142 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    The only reason you hit a plateau and has to do it calories in vs. calories out. as long as you're in a deficit you will continue to lose weight. A few of the other posters said it you really need to be meticulous in your calorie logging.

• cgvet37
    cgvet37 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    cgvet37 wrote: »

It depends.

Assuming cheating means eating significantly over you calorie goal, your progress will be slower because you will have a lower deficit.

You can treat yourself and still lose weight. I lost 35 lbs. doing so. Strict during the week. On the weekends, I ate one meal of my choosing, and didn't track it. Yes, if you overdue it, then you will hinder your progress.