Eating breakfast makes me hungry.

Options
I have never been a "breakfast person" and I've been skipping breakfast for years (with great success mind you).

I recently decided I wanted to break up my calories a bit better throughout the day so that I could have a little bit more food variety.

What I've discovered is that eating 300 calories in the morning revs up my appetite and actually does little to nothing for my energy or focus levels compared to just eating those calories later in the day.

Today's breakfast was a scoop of casein and a banana smoothie, sometimes it's a protein bar or a protein muffin, but always in the vicinity of 250-300 cals. And it just leaves me so hungry!

Is that normal? Is it just because I'm not used to the new eating schedule?

I'm going to see about pushing breakfast back and additional couple of hours to see if it helps. Just surprised at how crazy hungry it makes me.

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    so don't eat breakfast?!
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    Yup....that's me! And that's also why I avoid eating til later in the day (preferably 1 or 2pm).

I wake up hungry, but it's ignorable until I eat. If I eat smaller meals from morning to night I'm starving, on the verge of hangry.
  • HeliumIsNoble
    HeliumIsNoble Posts: 1,213 Member
    Options
    Normal for some people, yes. You are apparently one of them. Carry on with the routine that works for you and simply sneer at the next person who tells you that you should break your night's fast at the crack of dawn, otherwise the World Will End.
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    My experience of breakfast is the same. I've dropped back to eating first meal at noon most days (I occasionally eat breakfast with the rest of my family at the weekend).
  • JBApplebee
    JBApplebee Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    My problem is I wake up & go lift, but after lifting, it feels like I can't eat enough to satisfy my hunger. I'll eat eggs oatmeal & a protein shake, but some days I'll eat half my daily calories before 9 AM.
  • dangerousmezzo
    dangerousmezzo Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I think it's true for quite a few people, it's certainly true for me, and it took me a long time to realize it! You might consider looking into a variant of intermittent fasting -- one common variant is to have two substantial meals in an eight hour window (say noon to 8 pm) and fast the rest of the time.
  • Karen_DisneyFan
    Karen_DisneyFan Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I've never been a breakfast eater either. So, I normally don't eat until lunch (other than my huge morning mug of tea). I do go out to breakfast on the weekend with my husband but that's usually not until I've been up for a couple hours... and then I tend to want to E.A.T. all_day_long!!
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,803 Member
    Options
    My breakfast is coffee with cream. I'm naturally not really hungry in the morning and I don't eat if I'm not hungry. I agree that days I do eat breakfast for some reason I am hungry the rest of the day. When I just have coffee I'm good until around 2.
  • fitRTs
    fitRTs Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    This is me all the way. If I eat in the morning, I'm way more likely to go over my calories... I've never been a breakfast eater. So I just don't eat breakfast anymore. I've been trying some intermittent fasting, only eating between 1-9pm. It's been so easy for me and feels more natural for me to eat that way. If you're not hungry for breakfast, I think it's fine to skip as long as you don't binge later on in the day because you wait too long to eat.
  • Geocitiesuser
    Geocitiesuser Posts: 1,429 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the feedback and experiences everyone!
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    If I eat breakfast I'm hungry all day. Like insatiably hungry. I just skip it and don't eat till 1pm. It doesn't make a difference unless you have a medical reason to have more stable blood sugar, it works for me.
  • cross2bear
    cross2bear Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    Me too - I only eat breakfast on the weekends, like a brunch so that I know I can have more food at the regular lunch time!! I stick to coffee for brekkie during the week - thats enough to keep me going till lunch.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Don't fix what isn't broke. If it works for you to not eat breakfast then why would you change that? Do what works for you - not what someone else says you should be doing with no good reason for doing it.
  • bunnyluv19
    bunnyluv19 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I don't eat breakfast _i do lunch/supper/bedtime snack.Whatever works for you is good,it's never slowed or stalled my weight loss.